Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Line Output Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Default RE: Line Output Converter

ORIGINAL: bbengineer

No doubt you will get more bass as you turn up the volume, but it won't be proportional... meaning if you turn the volume up 3db, you will get a 3db increase in the mids and highs, but less in the bass, maybe a 1db increase. Since your sub-amp is probably more powerful than your factory amp, it seems like the bass increases substantially...

If you rewire and tap RCAs in before the factory amp, you should see an increase in bass (and in signal quality) over your current setup...

Let us know if you do it and how it goes

BBEngineer
I can't say that I've ever measured the difference in db gain between the two, so you may infact be right. However, when you're running subs against factory amped speakers, the imbalance of bass to mids/highs is so prominent that this is a non-issue. I will say that the use of a LOC or high level inputs on an amp should be a short term solution as most oem decks don't have very high voltage output and splicing into the already low signal only futher disenigrates the sq of the system and makes all the amps involved work much harder and alot more inefficiently.

I'm not gonna redo my current system as the whole thing is about to get upgraded, I just have to order my amps, I already have all the other components sitting here waiting to be installed. If my low end output was suffering and couldn't hang with the mids/highs then I'd probably do it, but the bass is way too much as is so there's no point in doing this, and i've got bottom of the barrel Obcon subs and amp right now. I could only imagine if I had even a decent low end setup, my goodness!!

Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 AM

For some odd reason I'm lost when it comes to installing this line output converter... I have tried your alls suggestions connecting the wires from the LOC to the speaker wires just right beside the speaker and all that but nothing is coming into the amp making the sub bump... I'm about half tempted to just send it back and say screw it.

Please give exact exact specific instructions on installing this thing in my 04 SS

Old 10-15-2006, 06:28 AM

if you have the small amp in the trunk, you wont need the converter at all. tap directly into that, connect to your subs amp and get power to it, as well as a ground and you should be in business. i'm glad they went back and forth with that, because it made me realize i didnt need a converter to install my music, which saved me a bunch of time and money, as well as shortening the time in which i could get back to hearing my music the way it was supposed to be heard.....Too ****in Loud!!!! thanks guys...

Old 10-15-2006, 07:14 AM

I've sent you a PM

Please message me on Yahoo messenger at CVFD1615 - I have a couple of questions.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM

please ignore my last post, i'm a complete dumb-***! i tried the install like i said, and i cannot find a harness that will link between the pre-amp in the trunk and my subs amp. most places dont carry anything for the high-level input. only rca inputs, which means either you find one or use the line converter from behind the radio and run rca's through your car to the back. a real pain in the ***. i hit you on messenger , but no answer, maybe we'll be in contact about dealin with this issue.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 PM

I'm on Yahoo messenger at this time

Nickname: cvfd1615

Old 10-22-2006, 03:11 PM

desperately need to find my remote wire coming from preamp under the deck lid. from a couple of opinions, that's the only thing stopping me from having sound. i'm in a 02 ss. got i wiring guide for that?