Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Line Output Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 AM
Default Line Output Converter

Hello,

I bought the SVEN2 line output converter and I am confident I did it right but I don't think its working.

I put the 2 white wires to one side of the speaker and the gray wires on the other side... Input will be Wired and Output is RCA

Got some RCA Jacks ran it to my amp then amp to my sub and it doesn't do anything...

Did I do something wrong and if so what and is the black wire needed for anything?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Default RE: Line Output Converter

ORIGINAL: rpd709

Hello,

I bought the SVEN2 line output converter and I am confident I did it right but I don't think its working.

I put the 2 white wires to one side of the speaker and the gray wires on the other side... Input will be Wired and Output is RCA

Got some RCA Jacks ran it to my amp then amp to my sub and it doesn't do anything...

Did I do something wrong and if so what and is the black wire needed for anything?
wiring instructions for the SVEN2 LOC

From what it sounds like, you didn't do it right. The white speaker leads are the the left speaker, the gray are for the right. The wires w/the black stripe are negative. Once you wire it up correctly you should be good to go. The black wire is to ground the rca's, which isn't always needed, but if you notice engine noise/alt whine then you might want to try grounding them to see if that takes care of it. Another thing to note is that from what I can see, this LOC should only be run up to 60 watts per input channel, and since you have 2 input channels you shouldn't be running more than 120 watts off it. Which means you're overdoing it by running a sub amp off it. Just a heads up.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:34 AM

So how do I tap into the speakers before the amp

I called cardomain and their tech support said to tap into it after the amp becuase the factory radio doesn't really put out much wattage so will need the amp..

Geez Decisions!

ANYONE THAT HAS THIS SETUP PLEASE POST PICS OR ADVISE HOW YOU DID IT PLEASE!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: rpd709

So how do I tap into the speakers before the amp

I called cardomain and their tech support said to tap into it after the amp becuase the factory radio doesn't really put out much wattage so will need the amp..

Geez Decisions!

ANYONE THAT HAS THIS SETUP PLEASE POST PICS OR ADVISE HOW YOU DID IT PLEASE!!!
If you're using the LOC for subs then the wattage issue is null and void since you're running the subs off their own amp. The only reason for the LOC is because you are trying to get a voltage signal from the head unit to the amp and the amp doesn't have high level inputs. So you have to take the signal that's sent via the speaker wires (very low in voltage) and convert the high level output to low level output (rca's). Wattage plays no part in this. The way you make the decision to tap before or after is by figuring out which is easier. If the amp is in the rear deck and the speaker wires are easily accessable then it would be easier to tap into it there instead of pulling the deck out and tapping into the speaker leads there, plus you'd have to run longer rca's if you did it that way.

It would probably be better to tap into the speaker leads coming out of the amp because you'll likely have a little bit more voltage on those lines since voltage times amperage equals wattage, so surely there will be more voltage on those lines than the ones coming out of the head unit.

So all you gotta do is connect the white wires to the left rear speaker and the grey wires to the right rear speaker, remembering that the colored w/black stripe is the negative lead, connect your rca's to the LOC and to the amp and you should know what to do from there. Have fun and good luck!!

But remember, you should only be running 120 watts via the LOC per specs, so if something gives up the ghost on you then you have nobody to blame but yourself. But in all fairness, i've used LOC's for quite some time and have yet to run into an issue like that so don't lose any sleep over it, hehe.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM

If you have the amp mounted under the rear deck, you actually don't even need a LOC.

With the premium sound setup, the signal between the radio and the amp is Line Level, so you can tap RCAs into those lines and run them right to the sub amp.

You really don't want to add a LOC after the amp because the amp reduces the amount of bass (on purpose) as the volume is turned up tp avoid blowing the factory speakers...

BBEngineer

Old 09-20-2006, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bbengineer

If you have the amp mounted under the rear deck, you actually don't even need a LOC.

With the premium sound setup, the signal between the radio and the amp is Line Level, so you can tap RCAs into those lines and run them right to the sub amp.

You really don't want to add a LOC after the amp because the amp reduces the amount of bass (on purpose) as the volume is turned up tp avoid blowing the factory speakers...

BBEngineer
the factory amp reduces the bass on the factory amped speakers, this is true. But when you run an aftermarket amp, as I have on my car, this is a non issue because the amp controls the amount of bass the subs get, not the factory amp. I kinda lucked out and didn't have to get a LOC on my setup because I have the amp that's mounted under the rear deck and my POS amp has high level inputs so I just tapped into the speakers there. But man, even with that poor excuse of an amp that I have, it drowns out my factory amped mids and highs like crazy. I have to fade nearly all the way to the front to even it out and make it sound good and no matter how high I turn it, the bass is not affected at all.

Can you give this guy instructions on how to tap rca's into speaker wires?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:09 PM

If you use LOC or high-level input on an amp connected to the output of the factory amp, you are still going to get bass reduction... There is no way around it if you take the output of the factory amp and use it as a source for either a sub amp or another aftermarket amp.

To tap in for RCAs you need the wiring diagram...

Here it is for 03-05 (00-02 is different)

You need to tap into each of the speaker pairs and attach RCAs (braided shield is negative, center signal wire is positive)...

Run the new RCAs to the amp and you should be all set

BBEngineer

Old 09-21-2006, 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: bbengineer

If you use LOC or high-level input on an amp connected to the output of the factory amp, you are still going to get bass reduction... There is no way around it if you take the output of the factory amp and use it as a source for either a sub amp or another aftermarket amp.

To tap in for RCAs you need the wiring diagram...

Here it is for 03-05 (00-02 is different)

You need to tap into each of the speaker pairs and attach RCAs (braided shield is negative, center signal wire is positive)...

Run the new RCAs to the amp and you should be all set

BBEngineer
I guess this can be debated till the end of time, but I have a setup currently that utilizes the signal after the factory amp to run my sub amp and bass reduction is a non-issue. The higher I turn the volume the louder the bass gets.

Thanks for the schematic!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 AM

I've PM'ed you 04 MonteLS

Thanks

Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

I guess this can be debated till the end of time, but I have a setup currently that utilizes the signal after the factory amp to run my sub amp and bass reduction is a non-issue. The higher I turn the volume the louder the bass gets.

Thanks for the schematic!
No doubt you will get more bass as you turn up the volume, but it won't be proportional... meaning if you turn the volume up 3db, you will get a 3db increase in the mids and highs, but less in the bass, maybe a 1db increase. Since your sub-amp is probably more powerful than your factory amp, it seems like the bass increases substantially...

If you rewire and tap RCAs in before the factory amp, you should see an increase in bass (and in signal quality) over your current setup...

Let us know if you do it and how it goes

BBEngineer

Quick Reply: Line Output Converter