Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Interior Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jethro
Alright well is there a free fuse on the fuse box at driver side that is for an accessory connection? I do understand what you are saying now! Just as a fail safe don't do it to the battery. I know that there are a lot of extra spaces on the driver side fuse box so surely one of them is an extra accessory slot right? One that acts like you explained?

I'm not familiar with the 6th gen fuse box, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

I would, though, discourage you from hooking straight up to the fuse box. If you do this, you are bypassing the whole point of the fuse box, to protect the wiring of the car from a short. I would try and find a switched source that comes out of the fuse box and into the dash somewhere. Your LED's won't take much current, so you'll be fine taping into one of the accessory wires under the dash.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM

Alright, I haven't done anything with the wires before so I am not sure how to cut into the other wires. Would I be able to connect it to the retained Accessory power relay wires? Do you - Cut the wire strip some of the sleeve off of it and then get a small nut and twist the relay from fuse box, with the LED controller box and the other end of the relay wire I cut all together into the nut. Would that work?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Just as an FYI about the knights crest....

The one used on the front bumper and the ones used on the rear sail panel are all the same with one exception. The one on the bumper has 2 plastic studs holding it on the bumper cover. They both have adhesive backings to hold them on.

You could use a sail panel emblem on the front bumper. I'm guessing the studs are to help ensure precise alignment (so no one has a lop-sided knights crest).

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Alright, I haven't done anything with the wires before so I am not sure how to cut into the other wires. Would I be able to connect it to the retained Accessory power relay wires? Do you - Cut the wire strip some of the sleeve off of it and then get a small nut and twist the relay from fuse box, with the LED controller box and the other end of the relay wire I cut all together into the nut. Would that work?
I'm not sure what you mean by retained Accessory power relay wires?

Here's how to properly splice into a wire.

DO NOT CUT THE WIRE. You don't want to interrupt the current wire you are tapping into. It has it's own purpose so you want to make sure it can't fail.

Instead, strip the coating on the wire, use a small screwdriver to spread the stranded wires in half, then feed in your new wire and twist the new wire all around. If you are ambitious, you can solder the joint too. Otherwise, a good twist and a tape job is good enough for LEDs.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Just as an FYI about the knights crest....

The one used on the front bumper and the ones used on the rear sail panel are all the same with one exception. The one on the bumper has 2 plastic studs holding it on the bumper cover. They both have adhesive backings to hold them on.

You could use a sail panel emblem on the front bumper. I'm guessing the studs are to help ensure precise alignment (so no one has a lop-sided knights crest).
Ok awesome thank you for that information, feel a lot better about replacing it now. I actually haven't taken a close look at my bumper one, will have to do that!

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I'm not sure what you mean by retained Accessory power relay wires?

Here's how to properly splice into a wire.

-Pic removed for quoting purposes-

DO NOT CUT THE WIRE. You don't want to interrupt the current wire you are tapping into. It has it's own purpose so you want to make sure it can't fail.

Instead, strip the coating on the wire, use a small screwdriver to spread the stranded wires in half, then feed in your new wire and twist the new wire all around. If you are ambitious, you can solder the joint too. Otherwise, a good twist and a tape job is good enough for LEDs.
Well the retained power accessory relay is a wire from the fuse box that holds like 20amps and powers the windows and sunroof from the information I have gathered online.

I bought a head unit from treywn, I have to solder some of the wires together for the harness, since I am doing that should I just solder the power wire onto one of those wires? (possibly the power wire for the stero) Or will that cause problems for the stereo? Sorry I just don't have any wiring experience for vehicles :/
Ask me to change out ceiling fans and wire you lights into the attic and change out sockets I can do that haha! (Step dad is an electrician)

Thanks so much for the help Justin! Been a lerning experience so far!

Cody

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Ok awesome thank you for that information, feel a lot better about replacing it now. I actually haven't taken a close look at my bumper one, will have to do that!

Well the retained power accessory relay is a wire from the fuse box that holds like 20amps and powers the windows and sunroof from the information I have gathered online.

I bought a head unit from treywn, I have to solder some of the wires together for the harness, since I am doing that should I just solder the power wire onto one of those wires? (possibly the power wire for the stero) Or will that cause problems for the stereo? Sorry I just don't have any wiring experience for vehicles :/
Ask me to change out ceiling fans and wire you lights into the attic and change out sockets I can do that haha! (Step dad is an electrician)

Thanks so much for the help Justin! Been a lerning experience so far!

Cody
While installing the radio would be an excellent time to run an extra power wire

Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
While installing the radio would be an excellent time to run an extra power wire
Awesome! Can I just solder it to the power wire for the head unit without effecting the quality of the head unit or will that make it take too many amps? I would think the LEDs wouldn't draw but 1amp MAYBE 2.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Awesome! Can I just solder it to the power wire for the head unit without effecting the quality of the head unit or will that make it take too many amps? I would think the LEDs wouldn't draw but 1amp MAYBE 2.
I would think the added current of the LEDs would have no effect on your stereo.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 AM

Alright I will solder it onto that wire than. If I have any problems will post! Thanks for all of the help and working with me Justin!