Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Interface questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Default Interface questions

Hey guys I just got my '01 Monte SS, and I am wondering how am I suppose to tell if I have the Premium Bose system or not? I dont have a CD changer in the car, but other than that I dont know what the Bose system consists of.

I wanted to put an aftermarket CD player and subs from my old car in the Monte but I don't know what interface I need to buy. My car is equipped with onstar but I am not a subscriber so I dont really need it to be functioning. So will the Peripheral GMCO work or do I need to get the GMAH24(B) if need be, and then the GMAHCM to get my chimes? I ask because the sencond way will cost about twice as much.

Or is there a better/easier harness company to deal with???[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I am kinda frustrated with this whole thing right now, the stock stereo is ok but I cant tune it, I lost some low end bass frequencies to my subs, and my CD's skips tons in this thing, I never had a problem with the Kenwood deck that I want to put in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

Old 07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Interface questions

u can use the harness that is only like 15 bucks that all i used when my radio was installed 2 weeks ago
only thing it u lose the chimes but i diddtn want them anyways

Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM

It has worked for you just fine hey, I belive you. I have just been told numerous stories by installers, both friends of mine and installers that I have called on the phone. They say they have seen air bags go off, and all sorts of electrical problems. I would like my car to remain as functional as possible, I guess one things i didnt think of until now is the customizing features of the stock stereo, like the oil life reset, low tire pressure, ect. I dont belive any of those things would be functional if I install an aftermarker deck. I dunno this whole thing seems like one big circle that I am going in. [&o]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 AM

you can still reset you oil life monitor and stuff all yo have to do is read the owners manual

Old 07-14-2006, 06:17 AM

Hey J_Bru_Ha_SS thanks for the advice on hooking my stuff up to my stock radio. I have a pioneer aftermarket headunit that came out of my old car myself (amp and subs too) but like you I've heard alot about those electrical problems with theses monte's. Personally I don't want to switch out my stock radio for the basic fact that sometimes, even the remote lock and unlock doesn't work, and if you take it out, I've heard that you can't set your alarm and oil life meter and so on like you said. Depending on what kind of amp you have, some you can actually fine tune the sound from the amp itself. My amp I have the option of fully tuning it, such as bass level, high frequency level, low frequency level, mono (for bridging your subs) or stereo and even the input level coming from the deck itself. Maybe you can do this with your amp too. But I just figured why go through the trouble when you can keep all your features of your stock radio i.e. alarm, CD and TAPE player, and all your functionalities. But thats up to you. I'm sure you know more about it than I do. You seem to have done your research[sm=hail.gif]

Old 07-14-2006, 12:48 PM

i dont know why the stero shops say this becuse u keep all the funtionalty of your car the only thing that u lose it the sttering wheel buttons and the door chime which are nothing major for the sweet sound of an aftermarket radio yes u can tune amp with the built in songs but if you listen to a variety of music how are you going to adjust thouse setting going down the road i just couldnt see the reasons for keeping the factory radio

Old 07-14-2006, 01:08 PM

DESS03, how do u reset ur oil life and such? As I read it in the manual u have to do everything through the stereo, if u take out the stock stereo how would you do this? Did I miss something in ur install post, and you have just relocated ur stock stereo to the trunk like I have heard some poeple do? And as far as tuning at the amp, yes I have a high and low pass crossover and a gain adjustment, however you cannot tune frequencies that the stock stereo does not produce. Check out the link here for the JL audio Clean Sweep it explains the "Factory" EQ setting on alot of new stereos, it is pretty interesting how the engineers decide what frequencies are important to produce at a high level and which frequencies are less important particularly the LOW LOW frequencies. If you listen to Hip-Hop like I do, the song "Tip Drill" by Nelly and the St. Lunatics, use to rattly my teeth in my old Caddy, but the low bass frequency doesnt get produced very well by my stock stereo in the monte, so I can barly hear it let alone feel it. The clean sweep is designed to flaten this "Factory" EQ so you can tune everything much easier, but I have called a couple of shops in my area about this and the $400 price tag is not really in my budget...here is the link: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94

Old 07-26-2006, 02:37 AM

no i diddnt do a stereo relocate i just used the cheaper of the harnesses you can reset the oil liife monitor by turning the key to the on position and depressing your gas padeal to the floor 3 times with in 5 seconds and you can reset the tire pressure monitor by turning the key to the on position and tuning the headlamp switch on and off 3 times within 5 seconds thats all there is to reseting the stuf have fun