Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

BEST Aftermarket interface!?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Default BEST Aftermarket interface!?

I have had the GMOS-04 installed in my 02' Monte for about a year and have never been fully satisfied with the sound quality. I have a newer Alpine Deck and I can turn the volume ALL the way up without it even really being SUPER loud. The stock stereo actually was louder with more bass and sound. Now question time.

1. I have the stock amp below the rear deck and an RDS stereo with Onstar---Is that Bose?

2. Anyone have any better luck with any other interfaces OTHER than the GMOS-04 that is rated HORRIBLY and works HORRIBLY (In my opinion).

I do not want to relocate my factory stereo to the rear of the car this just does not sound or look like I good idea to me.

PS-The GMOS-04 is Made by Metra I see other companies like PAC make an interface but these are not cheap and I don't wanna have to buy it to just try it.

Last edited by Pure2sin; 07-23-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Keeping the stock amp is going to kill the quality of the sound.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin
I have had the GMOS-04 installed in my 02' Monte for about a year and have never been fully satisfied with the sound quality. I have a newer Alpine Deck and I can turn the volume ALL the way up without it even really being SUPER loud. The stock stereo actually was louder with more bass and sound. Now question time.

1. I have the stock amp below the rear deck and an RDS stereo with Onstar---Is that Bose?

2. Anyone have any better luck with any other interfaces OTHER than the GMOS-04 that is rated HORRIBLY and works HORRIBLY (In my opinion).

I do not want to relocate my factory stereo to the rear of the car this just does not sound or look like I good idea to me.

PS-The GMOS-04 is Made by Metra I see other companies like PAC make an interface but these are not cheap and I don't wanna have to buy it to just try it.
If you bypassed your factory amp it would sound sooooo much better. You're lucky cause you can do so with a very cheap bypass plug

http://www.12vtoolbox.com/METRA_70_2...%2070-2048.htm

I promise you the difference will be night and day.

I'm not sure what the Bose stereo even looks like in our cars, but I'd imagine there would be Bose badging on it somewhere. I have RDS as well on my stereo and it's not Bose so my guess is that if your amp is grey and mounted under the rear deck with a large, grey rectangular plug that goes into it that it's the Premium stereo system like mine.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS

I'm not sure what the Bose stereo even looks like in our cars, but I'd imagine there would be Bose badging on it somewhere. I have RDS as well on my stereo and it's not Bose so my guess is that if your amp is grey and mounted under the rear deck with a large, grey rectangular plug that goes into it that it's the Premium stereo system like mine.
The car states that i or We have the the Bose sound system but on the parts like the speakers and the amp, no where does it state thats its bose, the manufacture is the GM brand speakers like in all the other GM cars. it sounds better then some other cars, but it doesn't seem like the Bose i know.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member

So I sent an E-mail to Bose cause I have heard MANY conflicting opinions about this subject of BOSE or NON-BOSE systems. This is what I was told when I said I have a 2002 Monte Carlo with a amp below the rear deck.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Bose Music System. In answer to your question, the Bose Music System was not offered in the Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division

Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
The car states that i or We have the the Bose sound system but on the parts like the speakers and the amp, no where does it state thats its bose, the manufacture is the GM brand speakers like in all the other GM cars. it sounds better then some other cars, but it doesn't seem like the Bose i know.
If it doesn't say Bose, it's not Bose.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
If it doesn't say Bose, it's not Bose.
Thats What I say. I just readin what it says on the Specs of the Monte Carlo features

Old 07-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Thats What I say. I just readin what it says on the Specs of the Monte Carlo features
What? Where did you see that, the owners manual? The guy above got an email from Bose saying a Bose system wasn't offered on the Monte Carlo's

Old 07-24-2009, 10:57 PM

so i shouldn't have my aftermarket speakers wired to the factory amp?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member

I also have an E-mail into PAC to see what they say too. From what i can see on the PAC Audio site they make a interface for BOSE and Non-BOSE systems but then you look at other sites offering the same interface and they say the BOSE one is not offered on Monte Carlo's. All I know is that I tried the Metra GMOS-04 and its terrible I wouldn't buy it again EVER. I am probably going to try the PAC OS-2 interface and see how that works I will report back -100$ for good sound lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BEST Aftermarket interface!?