Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Installing Ipod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Default Installing Ipod Interface

Went to best buy tonight and picked up a peripheral electronics ISGM74 ipod interface. It cost a little more then buying one online but I had a best buy credit card and it beats waiting for shipping. I hooked it up electronically in the parking lot in about 10 minutes. It works awesome and its cool how you can control the ipod through the radio.

Tomorrow I need to finish installing it. Where does everyone usually put the ipod and cable to make it all out of sight? I was thinking of attaching the media gateway to the bottom of the heater controls with Velcro which will put it out of sight, but where should I run the cable to the ipod and the ipod it self?

Would you put it in the glove box or center console? I'm having trouble trying to decide. Thank you for any help

Old 06-27-2009, 07:33 PM

I tucked my cord in my console and it come out on the left side and my Ipod sits in the little slot in the console next to the shifter. Its a great place for the Ipod to sit.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM

Thank you. I ended up running it to the glove box. The glove box is so small I don't use it anyways so its the perfect spot to put the ipod. I may change the location later on, but it works for now

Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you can control it with the steering wheel controls, I'd tuck it into the glove-box.

If you find yourself wanting to play with the ipod more and more I would think about moving it.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 PM

How exactly do you go about hooking up something like this for an ipod, and what do you need to buy? I'm not at all electronics savvy, but I would like to listen to my ipod in the car sometimes. I have the factory AM/FM/CD/cassette unit in my 04 Intimidator. I also have XM and OnStar if it makes a difference.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, if you want to go the cheap easy way, get one of those tape adapters, so the ipod plays through the cassette deck. I wish my 05 had the tape deck so I can do that. But, mine doesn't so I am going to get an interface for my B-day in August.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 PM

I also have the ISGM74 kit to install this week, hopefully.

I may do a write up with pics if I have the time.

What you might find interesting about my installation will be plug and play setup, including the ground and 12v constant connections.... I am going to put together a pigtail that will plug inline with the aux power plug that goes to the rear of the console. (I HATE cutting into factory wiring, even if it is soldered/heat shrinked.... and I dont really care for fuse taps, either)

Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Toasty
I also have the ISGM74 kit to install this week, hopefully.

I may do a write up with pics if I have the time.

What you might find interesting about my installation will be plug and play setup, including the ground and 12v constant connections.... I am going to put together a pigtail that will plug inline with the aux power plug that goes to the rear of the console. (I HATE cutting into factory wiring, even if it is soldered/heat shrinked.... and I dont really care for fuse taps, either)
The ISGM74 should already be plug and play. I didn't have to splice any wires. In fact I installed it in best buy parking lot in 10 minutes with only a 7mm nut driver.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by labnjab
The ISGM74 should already be plug and play. I didn't have to splice any wires. In fact I installed it in best buy parking lot in 10 minutes with only a 7mm nut driver.

...at least from what i see with my 05, i have to provide ground and 12v constant feed...

Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Anybody using this interface along with a SiriusConnect? Or is it not possible?

Quick Reply: Installing Ipod Interface