Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

installing the sounds today, three questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Default installing the sounds today, three questions

1) alright it's been a while but im going to install my HU today and am making a bigger deal out of this than it is. i didn't get the wiring kit, i'm just bypassing the stock amp and am just running rca's to one that i have. i only need to hook up two wires to get this bad boy powered up right? power and ground? and the remote wire into the amp comes from my alpine correct? like i said it's been a while.

2) i'm having a wee bit of trouble trying to figure out where i'm supposed to run the power wires through the firewall. i don't see a grommet in a very easy to get to location.

3) what is an appropriate ground for our car? i dont have a dvom and have no idea what kind of metal is what anymore... is the bracket on the bottom of the rear seat a safe spot?

i have a 2002 with amp on the rear deck..

thanks in advance ya'll!

-btf

Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bowtieface
1) alright it's been a while but im going to install my HU today and am making a bigger deal out of this than it is. i didn't get the wiring kit, i'm just bypassing the stock amp and am just running rca's to one that i have. i only need to hook up two wires to get this bad boy powered up right? power and ground? and the remote wire into the amp comes from my alpine correct? like i said it's been a while.
Depending on the amp, i would running nothing smaller then 4 gage wire. Dont forget to use a fuse no further then 6" from the battery. Use the AMP REMOTE wire ( should be blue ) from the HU. But depending on the model, it could have an ANTENNA wire. Dont use that one or your amp is going to be turning off everyting you put in a CD.Dont forget to use a fuse no further then 6" from the battery.

And use a good Twisted Pair RCAs.

2) i'm having a wee bit of trouble trying to figure out where i'm supposed to run the power wires through the firewall. i don't see a grommet in a very easy to get to location.
From what i have read on the 6th Gens, the best thing is to use the Passenger side. I've not worked on one yet, but thats what i have read. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

3) what is an appropriate ground for our car? i dont have a dvom and have no idea what kind of metal is what anymore... is the bracket on the bottom of the rear seat a safe spot?

i have a 2002 with amp on the rear deck..

thanks in advance ya'll!

-btf
You can ground it on the Strut tower. Just make sure that you scrape off any paint under the connection so you can have a good ground.

One more thing. Make sure that you run the RCA cables on the other side of the car.

Example. If you run the amp wire on the pass side, run the RCAs on the driver side. It will keep you from having alot of noise problems. And if they have to cross, make sure that its on 90 degree angle.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 PM

thank you jj.

was i right about hooking up the hu though, in order to get it to power on i just need the switched power and a ground?

i'm afraid to scrape paint though, bare metal is where rust starts and there isn't a bit of it on this car and it's not starting because of me.... is it at all possible to ground without scraping paint?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

If you dont scrap the metal, the only place its going to pass ground thru is the bolt. Now what you can do it scrap the paint, bolt it down, them repaint it with Rustoliam. It doesnt have to be a big area. Just big enough for the ring terminal can sit on.

Not scraping the paint can give you alot of headackes later when you are trying to fiquere out problems with your amp.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
If you dont scrap the metal, the only place its going to pass ground thru is the bolt. Now what you can do it scrap the paint, bolt it down, them repaint it with Rustoliam. It doesnt have to be a big area. Just big enough for the ring terminal can sit on.

Not scraping the paint can give you alot of headackes later when you are trying to fiquere out problems with your amp.

thanks again