Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Three Questions For MC Owners 2000 - 2007

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Default Three Questions For MC Owners 2000 - 2007

I had three questions for MC Owners 2000 - 2007:

Has anyone experienced a rattling driver side door in colder weather that is noticable going down bumpy roads?

Also,

Does anyone notice that the windshield washer spray for the driver side wiper spray seems a little less powerful than the passsenger side wiper spray especially noticable going down the road?

Finally,

Have a lot of owners experienced the squeaky steering column that sounds like wiping a clean window with windex on very slow turns?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a rattling in my door once, it wound up being a bolt from the window track got loose. Just had to take the door panel off and find the screw and then put it back on very tight.

This has happened twice on me now lol

Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

My door rattles. It's two cold to take the panel off right now. I don't want to break anything. I'm sure I'll find whatever it is.

My steering column actually makes very slight pops when I'm doing the same thing. I guess it's common.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 AM

I had my door off to replace the speaker. Actually, both door speakers went out on me. I was able to get the passenger door speaker replaced under the warranty, but I had to do the driver side myself because it was out.

I looked all over the inside of that door for anything obvious. I spent about five or six nights after work trying to find the source of that noise and could not find it. I finally gave up because I was tired of driving around with the door panel off. If you do find the source,, please share it with me. If you have power windows, becareful pulling the plug out, it is very tricky and hard to reach.

My steering wheel does not make a popping sound, but more of a squeak like windex on a window or vinyl against vinyl.

I can't figure out why my wiper spray on the driver side is weaker than the passenger side. I looked at every inch of the hose.

I would like to know if this is characteristic of all Monte's or just mine.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs
I had my door off to replace the speaker. Actually, both door speakers went out on me. I was able to get the passenger door speaker replaced under the warranty, but I had to do the driver side myself because it was out.

I looked all over the inside of that door for anything obvious. I spent about five or six nights after work trying to find the source of that noise and could not find it. I finally gave up because I was tired of driving around with the door panel off. If you do find the source,, please share it with me. If you have power windows, becareful pulling the plug out, it is very tricky and hard to reach.

My steering wheel does not make a popping sound, but more of a squeak like windex on a window or vinyl against vinyl.

I can't figure out why my wiper spray on the driver side is weaker than the passenger side. I looked at every inch of the hose.

I would like to know if this is characteristic of all Monte's or just mine.
I have a 2002 ss and my drivers side spray is about 75-80% of the passenger side... Never really thought about it as it has always been like that...

My steering column does not sqeek, but my shifter does (from 1st to 2nd), Ill try greasing it as soon as it gets warmer...

My drivers side door has a slight creak sound that greasing hasn't been able to take away yet, I'll attempt it again... Good luck,

Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM

I appreciate the feeback. That is how I would describe my driver side washer spray, about 75% of the power of the passenger side. Not a big deal, but would like to have a better spray. Dealer told me a while back that was by design for the Monte Carlo and Impala to help prevent visibility reduction.

I am really worried about this steering column issue, it seems to be getting worse. I think it sounds like something is dryed out. It does not pop though. I doubt GM will cover it under the power train warranty. Really annoying that they could get away with such a faulty part. I wonder how many people a driving around not aware what this noise is and think their car is falling apart.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 02-09-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM

my steering wheel makes that rubber rubbing sound, also.

at some point ill take the plastic house off, that is behind the wheel, and see if i can grease the wheel hub from that angle. if i cant reach it with a grease gun, maybe ill get a tube of graphite and squeeze it in there.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Has your 2002 been doing that for a long time? Mine has been for awhile and it is a 2007. I think it started in the early 30,000 mile range. I didn't think much of it then, but now I am concerned irreversable damage has occured and lithium may not resolve it. I have also read articles where people said they need to do this very often because the symptoms come back.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If people are doing it constantly it's because they are using a crappy lubricant. Probably WD-40

Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If people are doing it constantly it's because they are using a crappy lubricant. Probably WD-40
Agreed. WD-40 is not used for lubricating things. It is for water displacement.

My driver door has a soft rattle to it almost like the rods for the door lock is metal on metal. Come spring, I will address it.

Quick Reply: Three Questions For MC Owners 2000 - 2007