Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Installing a Remote Lead in 6th Gen Montes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Installing a Remote Lead in 6th Gen Montes

After searching the forums for awhile and finding several threads that led to "not-so-helpful" results, I thought I'd post what I have found.

**I did this on a 2000 Monte Carlo SS WITHOUT a factory amp. The purpose of this install was to create a remote lead for my mono amplifier in order to run an amp and sub with the factory stereo still installed. ** The ideas for the adapter and fuse came from member Milhouse, I'm hoping this will make it easier for people in the future **

I purchased a fuse tap off of eBay that looks like this:

After looking through all of the fuses (on both the driver and passenger side) and testing them with a lighted detector, I decided to install the fuse tap and remote lead in the driver's side fuse panel in the 10A CIG/AUX spot because I found that it was dead when the key was off, but was live when the key was in ACC or ON.

Here's what the fuse tap looks like installed, I think it looks a lot cleaner than just ramming the wire in:

Then I ran the remote lead behind/under/through parts of the dash so as to have it hidden completely. It comes out on the passenger side underneath the glove box so that I can run it along with my power wire for an easier install.

Comments/Questions/Suggestions?

--Zach

Last edited by Furder2010; 07-26-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM

You could have simply used the remote power lead on the back of the radio. It's there even if you have no amplifier as the antenna module on the rear glass uses it as well

Pin B3 (white) on the 24 Pin Connector behind the radio

BBEngineer

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM

Interesting....I just posted this exact pigtail and suggested that exact fuse to use on this install not too long ago when someone asked this exact question.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Interesting....I just posted this exact pigtail and suggested that exact fuse to use on this install not too long ago when someone asked this exact question.
Milhouse, I apologize!! I failed to mention that the adapter was your idea...I have changed the original post to reflect that. When I found that post awhile back, I thought it was awesome (and I posted that on the thread). However, these last couple of days I could not seem to find the article anywhere so I thought I'd try to help others er And tbh, I never fully read that thread anyways so I was thinking that fuse you were referring to was the radio fuse, but it would not work there. I did not see that you had cleared up the confusion. Sorry again mate!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM

That wasnt my goal, to get credit in the thread, I was just putting it out there that I had infact given this same info in a previous thread recently since you said you only found not so helpful posts about it after searching. But thanks, I appreciate it