Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

installing LED's to climate control unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default installing LED's to climate control unit

Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing better than me.. Basically decided to take on the task of replacing the incandescents in the climate control unit to blue LED's.. The LED's I bought are 5MM 10,000 MCD with a 470 OHM resistor which our friend @ BBengineer recommended getting.. Now the write-up he gave on his website is for the gauge cluster not the climate control unit in which case he indicates the + and - locations of the bulbs on the back of the board which is important for LED installation. I know the longer lead on the LED is the + and the shorter LED lead is - in which case I soldered one end of the resistor to the top of the + LED lead and ran the other end of the resistor through the circuit board hole parallel to the positive lead where I then soldered the bulb to the back of the board. I'm not sure what went wrong but now the A/C Defrost light wont turn on and neither will the 2 LED lights which I soldered to the back of the board. My first assumption would be, I shorted out the board somehow, left the iron on for a little too long or the LED is not installed in the correct holes. I'm not sure if anyone here has done this mod on their Monte but if anyone can indicate to me where the + and - holes are on the back of the board will be more than appreciated. I have a good feeling I destroyed the board considering the A/C defrost light now does not work. Does anyone here on the forum do this professionally so I can have the rest of my switches and controls swapped as well? BBengineer is the only gent that I am familiar with and he has shut down his operation unfortunately.

Thank you all.