Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Install subwoofers with stock head unit and amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Default Install subwoofers with stock head unit and amplifier

Is there any way I can install two subs in my car using the stock head unit and amplifier? I really don't want to buy new ones if possible. Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Thumbs up

yes there is a few options u can take the cheapest one is o go buy the rcs converter fro walmart for 18 bucks or u can buy a really expensive one that will keep ur steering wheel controls and everything uif u have them u can keep all ur factory sound equipment tho u just have to get ur amplifier subs and wirinkg kit i always get the thing from walmart what it does is taps into ur rear speakers and converts the signal to rca outputs it doesnt affect ur speakers at all all it does is tap in to get the signal it doesnt disconnect them then for ur remote wire u go to ur fuse box or find something thats easy to get to u may know of that is hot when u turn the key on wire one of the end of the remote to that and run it to ur amp u MUST have this for ur amp to turn on the converter at walmart has very detailed instructions u need a tiny flathead screwdriver to hook it up so make sure u have one or get one i hope this helped ive done it in numerous cars cadillacs infinitys a few chryslers and a mazda 6 and this is a 100% sure fire way to do it for 20 bucks assuming u have the wires subs and amp if u need help post ur question on here ive been professionally installing systems for almost 7 years now and have used this method many times

Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM

i read ur question better and are u talking about installing an amplifier and subwoofers in ur car or hooking subwoofers up to the factory amplifiers? if that was ur question yes u can hook them up but it doesnt have anough power to push one sub let alone 2 not only that but its too low of an ohm load if u dont want to replace anything than dont do that otherwise u will be lol not only have i learned what to do as installer ive learned what not to do thru others experience luckily lol could u specify if ur question are u trying to hook up subs and an amp to ur existing equipment or trying to wire just subs up to ur existing equipment

Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by igerard
Is there any way I can install two subs in my car using the stock head unit and amplifier? I really don't want to buy new ones if possible. Any ideas?
No, you cant run subs off the factory amp. But you can buy a new amp and use it to run your subs, while keeping the factory deck and factory amp to run ur interior speakers. But if ur gonna do all that u might as well get a new deck while ur at it cause ur gonna lose control over ur system. Whats gonna happen is ur bass is gonna drown out ur mids and highs so naturally ur gonna try to turn them up to match but they're gonna be getting too much bass and will distort. Then when u go to turn the bass down a little bit you'll be turning down the bas on the subs too since they're connected to the rear speakers via the hi/lo converter.

Now if u use components up front it really wont matter cause they'll have passive xovers that will let them play only certain frequencies anyway, but for the rear you could either wire in some capacitors or bass blockers to keep the bass out. But again, thats alot of work to do for what you'd get in the end sound wise, it will sound way better if u replaced the deck too, plus ur amp wont have to work so hard sine it would be getting a far stronger signal from an aftermarket deck than ur factory one.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM

I have 2000 monte carloI have hooked everything up but I get almost no sound from my subs!!! PLEASE HELP!! I have a stock head unit and want to add my 2 12's with aftermarket amp!!

Last edited by Joe Taylor; 06-16-2012 at 08:43 AM.