Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Inputs

I know this may have been answered before, but are there input jacks on our factory head units? If not, is there a way to add them to the system?

The iWay GPS unit I am about to get has the ability to work with a stereo system with input capabilities to play MP3's and the voice navigation prompts through system.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Default RE: Inputs

no our units dont have pre outs on them,

Yes you can add tem witha hi low box that you can add to the system. but not real sure if they would work the same for a GPS unit as they do for the amp. But you can do i . i think i paid like 30.Euro here for one they are not to bad for a price. And seem to work good.

Mine has ginas on it so i can turn it up or down . so i can adjust how much of the signal it will take out of my rear speakers.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

I know this may have been answered before, but are there input jacks on our factory head units? If not, is there a way to add them to the system?

The iWay GPS unit I am about to get has the ability to work with a stereo system with input capabilities to play MP3's and the voice navigation prompts through system.

just to expand on mickey's answer, you need to buy a high to low converter to add rca's. It's an adapter that takes your speaker leads(usually either front or rear) and gives you rca's on the other end. Getting one w/gains is a good idea, just don't use them as a volume ****, set them the same as you would set the gain on your amp.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:09 PM

So this will install after the actual stereo system? The reason I ask is that the radio volume mutes as the voice prompts are made by the GPS system. I fear this will not happen if this solution is post the head unit. What are your thoughts??

I can live without that function but it would be nice to know it will work.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 PM

I thought you already did this to have your box put in the trunk .

But honestly if it is feedign the voice in to the system then i would feed it threw the pre outs correct? if this is the case then it would feed threw your front or rear spaekers i would think.

Btu then i am not a audio wiz.

But isnt this a after market deck your putting in? And it dont have preouts? I thouhgt that was pretty much a standard issue now a days.
But give us reviews of it

Old 08-30-2005, 04:30 PM

I decided not to go with the Pioneer in dash GPS system but the Lowrance Iway 500C portable system. I wanted more portability out of a GPS system and felt the in-dash unit would get old quick. Although a GPS system would be nice for running around Houston I don't need it here. I really want the system for traveling outside of Houston.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:37 PM

yeah i hear that but you will use it more then ya think when it comes to finding a address etc,

But under stadn that idea to

Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

So this will install after the actual stereo system? The reason I ask is that the radio volume mutes as the voice prompts are made by the GPS system. I fear this will not happen if this solution is post the head unit. What are your thoughts??

I can live without that function but it would be nice to know it will work.

I apologize, I misunderstood the original question. And after reading it again, I see now that you asked about INPUTS, not OUTPUTS, my bad[]

No inputs are on the head unit and there isn't anything you could add to it, or any other head unit w/o inputs, that will give you any. Sorry, could have nipped this one in the bud a long time ago, reading > me