Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

I think i F***ed up my HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I think i F***ed up my HIDs

I think i f***ed my HIDs tonight, or at least my driers side. I had my drivers headlight out of the car to all the wiring was diconected because i was working on other wiring for my LEDs. and when i went to plug the HIDs back in i hit the side of the plug against the ballast and is sparked.and now the drivers side when i turn the car on will flicker for 10 seconds and then turn off. but the passenger side is fine.

So do i have to get another ballast? or could it be the bulb? or what should i do?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Default RE: I think i F***ed up my HIDs

[align=center]Hi Luke,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read about your problem with HID's. I hope the below information helps.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]When used with a halogen bulb, an improper E/O connection will cause the light to flicker. With an HID lamp, an improper connection will cause the light to go out should the voltage drop below the level regulated by the ballast. The effect is the same as if you had turned the light off with the switch: the ballast must reset itself and the bulb cool before restriking. If your light should go off because of a loose E/O connection, re-seat the connection and wait ten to twenty seconds before restriking the lamp.[/align][align=center]Good Luck `Space[/align][align=center]Click below source link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.halcyon.net/lights/hid-faq.shtml[/align]

Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 PM

There should be nothing wrong with the ballast, for some reason even with the lights off the plug to the ballast is live. You should notice that your daytime running lights do not work. The Monte's headlights are independently fused drivers side / daytime running lights and passenger side lights. Check you owners manual for the abbreviation (they use right and left.) There are 4 fuse panels in the Monte these fuses are under the hood, I think the drivers side is a 15 amp.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM

I hate not being patient enough to wait for answers. [8D]

yes i went ahead an went on ebay and talked to some companies and ordered a new ballast. Then i read your post (Bxbootlegger) i took out the fuse and it was fried. put in a new one and i now have my HIDs back. Thanksalot for the help.

but i now have an extra HID ballast for when i do blow one of the ballast

Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Sorry that I didn't catch you in time to prevent an unnecessary purchase. I had learned this while I was installing my hid lights. I had started on the passenger side and when I went to connect the plug to the ballast it arced. I had changed the ballast, then the bulb abd finally put the stock light back in and it still didn't work. At that point I thought I really fuct something up. Having one headlight working and the other not, really tweaked my brain.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Would you say it would be wise to remove those fuses before installing the HID's?

I plan on installing my HIDs as soon as my LED tails arrive.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Yes I would definitely recommend removing the fuses.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

I love forums! damn im gonna try that fuse replacement. I've had the same problem except it was onmy passenger side with my HID's. bulb flickering and no daytime running lamps, just my HID on my driver side comes on. Is there any certain fuse i need to specifically look for? Any name and amperage would be helpful, since i dont know much with electrionics but i know how to change a fuse, thats pretty easy haha. Thanks for the help fellas.