Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

HIDs with Blacked-out headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Default HIDs with Blacked-out headlights?

How do HIDs look with black-out headlights instead of the silver stock upper and lower? I would think the black would not project the light as much as the stock silver/chrome upper and lower headlights. I have been looking at a pair on Ebay where its the black headlights with the HID units installed and ready to go about to pull the trigger but I don't wanna lose a ton of light output on the black even though they will look cool.

Last edited by Pure2sin; 07-31-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 AM

HID Projectors project light, not reflect it, so the reflection of the silver coating vs black shouldnt be a big deal

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ebay headlights take off like 25% of light output.

Some people get high quality ones that don't affect their driving. I don't know the brand names though.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
ebay headlights take off like 25% of light output.
So you don't think these are any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM

it's tough to say how good they will be. the biggest question is how the bulbs are constructed, and if they have the same measurement of the arc in the bulb vs the standard low-beam bulb, since they arent projetors. HID's arent ideal in reflective style (o.e.) style housings, but if the optics are placed correctly, will at least be just as good as stock, if not slighlty better as far as light output is concerned. If the spacing is off on the optics (arc location) in the bulb, the light pattern will be out of whack with where it should be vs a halogen bulb.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Toasty
it's tough to say how good they will be. the biggest question is how the bulbs are constructed, and if they have the same measurement of the arc in the bulb vs the standard low-beam bulb, since they arent projetors. HID's arent ideal in reflective style (o.e.) style housings, but if the optics are placed correctly, will at least be just as good as stock, if not slighlty better as far as light output is concerned. If the spacing is off on the optics (arc location) in the bulb, the light pattern will be out of whack with where it should be vs a halogen bulb.
Well I guess I will buy them and see what happens. My lights right now are horrible so anything has got to be better than what I have now.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 PM

curious how these will work. Let us know.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 PM

I have the black housing headlights from when PFYC.com had them then with ZZP HID low beams (6000k) and Ebay High beams (8000K).

My lights are ten times brighter then what it was stock. And if you think about it the top and the bottom dont really have that much to do with projecting the light out (forward) so i would not be worried at all about there not being enough light.

I will warn you though that i would recomend NOT buying your HIDs from ebay. I hate the ones i got off ebay. To me it was worth the higher price from ZZP for a far better product.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 AM

you just gotta get the right set off of ebay. not the cheap kit. i got the rikensport and they have lasted me since jan. they are a really nice set so far

Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

2000_Black_SS,
What was the brand?

Quick Reply: HIDs with Blacked-out headlights?