Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Hooking up LED's - Can you wire lighting this way?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Default Hooking up LED's - Can you wire lighting this way?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, any information you can provide me (or to my mechanic in making my vision a reality would be greatly appreciated)

I have a Black 04 Monte SS, with an all black interior.

I'm going with red lights inside on the floors, switching the dashboard and center panel lights to red (no more greenish), throwing a Red LED strip in the bottom of each headlight, and a red underglow.

Now, I have my friend doing all this for free- he's a professional mechanic and his done all sorts of lighting installations... With that being said, is it possible for a professional to make it so when i have lights in the auto adjust position nothing but regular headlights and no underglow are on (so I don't get pulled over), and when i switch the lights to the OFF position (or pull the lever out all the way), the red underglow and red led's in the headlights will turn on so i can show off a bit in the parking lot & to my friends.

Do you think it would be smarter to set up a separate switch instead of disconnecting or cutting wires (if thats required to do the job). I wanted to do this as a fail proof way to make sure i never use it on a roadway. I fear with a separate switch it would only be a matter of time until i flip it on, either on purpose or by accident.

Also, want to make the interior led lights turn on when i turn the normal inside switch on, and when the doors open.

So whats the verdict, is this all possible, or would it require me to have a separate switch. Ignore the cost of labor, I don't care if he wears his fingers to the nub, as long as my monte looks great!

I really appreciate your time,
Tom

Last edited by tom272; 02-15-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I think it would be really cool to have them wired how you want them all into one switch, but personally I'd do separate switches.. One for the underglow with the red led in the headlights, and one for your interior. I'd also get lighted switches and put them somewhere you can see them just to make sure the underglow isn't on while your driving.

Not sure if it would be a good idea to wire that much stuff into the headlight/dimmer switch, I think it would need to be a bigger wire (if not rewiring everything) and probably a larger fuse somewhere. It would be very convenient though to not have to add any switches.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by tom272
Now, I have my friend doing all this for free- he's a professional mechanic and his done all sorts of lighting installations... With that being said, is it possible for a professional to make it so when i have lights in the auto adjust position nothing but regular headlights and no underglow are on (so I don't get pulled over), and when i switch the lights to the OFF position (or pull the lever out all the way), the red underglow and red led's in the headlights will turn on so i can show off a bit in the parking lot & to my friends.

Do you think it would be smarter to set up a separate switch instead of disconnecting or cutting wires (if thats required to do the job). I wanted to do this as a fail proof way to make sure i never use it on a roadway. I fear with a separate switch it would only be a matter of time until i flip it on, either on purpose or by accident.

Also, want to make the interior led lights turn on when i turn the normal inside switch on, and when the doors open.

So whats the verdict, is this all possible, or would it require me to have a separate switch. Ignore the cost of labor, I don't care if he wears his fingers to the nub, as long as my monte looks great!

I really appreciate your time,
Tom

It is possible to do what you are saying, exactly how I'm not sure. However, I think it will be far simpler to use an extra switch. If you are concerned about using it by accident on the highway, maybe a simple fail safe could be to tap into the parking brake switch. Thus the LEDs will only be able to turn on if the parking brake is on. This will probably be easier than working with the headlight switch, though I am not 100% sure.

As far as the interior lights, getting them to turn on with a door opening is pretty easy by tapping into the dome light circuit. Getting them to turn on with the light switch is pretty easy, just tap into any dash lighting or the switch itself.

It's all possible.. it's just a matter of planning it all out carefully.

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I would put them on a separate switch. You could make it only work while the vehicle is in park. Also Check with your local Laws it may be illegal to have red lights on the front of you car.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM

Thank you all for the advice... I'll take adding a switch into consideration, and definitely good advice to check the local law. What i intend to do should not attract me unwanted attention though, as i will not have any strobing, and its primarily for when all the car enthusiasts in our area show their cars off in an abandoned parking lot. I think I'm doing some of the work tomorrow, so ill see about getting pics of a final.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Powering them through their own switch would be the easiest way to do it. If you're concerned about accidently having them on when you don't want them on use a switch with a pilot light that glows when the power is on.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM

thats a great idea also. I bought a 5 meter strip of LEDS, so ill start mounting them (after i do some oil gasket work first) and decide how to wire it up probably tomorrow, ill post a pic.