Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Homemade Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Homemade Remote Starter

So I'm looking to create an arduino-based remote starter for my '03. I've seen it done for other cars, and my reasoning for doing this over a normal system has to do with tying it into a larger system-allowing me to start it via the Internet etc. I also don't care about alarm/doors/trunk etc.

Essentially what I'm thinking I need to do is set it up to Hotwire the car, but I'm concerned about any security systems designed to keep me from doing this, how to bypass them, and if there are any major pitfalls I need to be aware of. I've done plenty of wiring before but never a remote start.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

I'm not sure if that is a good idea on these cars. The security system is rather complicated and gives people issues even when not messed with. In my opinion remote start and security systems are best left to professionals on these cars.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member

Hmmm ok. Even with a real remote start kit? Again I've never installed but the premise never seemed complicated.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Even with a normal kit, if installed incorrectly issues can arise. The whole security system on these cars is rather complicated.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:14 AM

I have installed my own Crimestopper Alarm with Remote Start. I also used a Data Bypass Module to bypass the security. Below are the exact models I used. Everything has been great with no issue for well over 7 years

- Crimestopper CS-2011RS IV Super Rage Alarm and Remote Start
- Fortin GM-SL2 General Motors Data Bypass Kit

The best place to purchase equipment that you would like to install yourself is through Sonic Electronix. They are currently running 10% off on their site.....

Last edited by KCFITZ78; 01-01-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I installed a remote start with keyless entry (including the passlock bypass module) in my ex-wife's Impala (which is just like our Montes) and my current Grand Am.

In the Monte and the Impala, prepare to be contorted to get to all the wires involved. Pretty much you just need to match up the wiring diagrams.
If you do the install yourself, I highly recommend that you soldier all your connections.

If you are uncomfortable with installing this, then have a professional do the install.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member

As long as I've got good documentation on what is needed, I'm not worried about the install. Thanks for the recommendations I've got a much clearer understanding of what I need to do now.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:22 PM

I second that..... soldier all your connections. You don't want to have to go chasing electrical issues for non-soldier connections.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 AM

Some people on here have had problems, but as someone who worked doing car audio installs (including numerous remote starts) for 2-3 years, it's very doable.

Lots and lots of gm cars with that generation of security have had systems installed with no issue. Just make sure you get a quality remote start unit and a quality security bypass module.

When I saw people come in with issues, the problem is usually either installer error (something hooked up wrong, unit programmed incorrectly, etc) or a dead aftermarket electrical part.

The install isn't terrible, all you need is access to the cars wiring colors (via a schematic, access to an installer guide, or by common sense and probing wires to test for the ones you need). It sucks to get under the dash to do it, and you will be laying there awhile - but that's the case with this kind of install on nearly every car. At least by not caring about door locks or and alarm, it'll save you from running a few wires.