Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Help! Non-tech inclined. Probably simple...

Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Default Help! Non-tech inclined. Probably simple...

(In case it's important it's a 2007 Monte Carlo LS)

My car was recently caught in a flood. The water soaked my carpet, but luckily nothing else (seems like it came up from the bottom, not through the doors... still not sure where it came in...

Anyway, I had to remove the carpet to dry it out which, of course, meant removing the seats and center console. I got everything in and out with no real trouble except for the passenger seat which, for some reason, won't line back up with the holes in the floor.

When I went to put the seat back in I accidentally grabbed the handle up front for sliding the seat forward/back. When I went to put the seat in, I noticed a spring with a hook on each end and a plastic mesh (like a Chinese finger trap) around it. I hooked it back like the other such spring that is on the seat.

If I line up one side of the bracket with the two holes in the floor, the other side is slightly off to one side and won't go in. The seat will not lock in the "back" position, so that the bracket is out in front of the seat. This also means the seat slides freely back and forth while I'm trying to line it up.

Obviously the brackets lined up before... I think the problem is the seat had to be angled sharply forward to pull it out originally, but since the seat won't stay slid back on the brackets I can't line it up. I assume it has something to do with that, but I can't see what to do.

I hope I described all of that well enough. Anyway, if someone can offer me some advice I'd appreciate it. I'd feel like a dummy having to take this into a shop... also I can't really afford it at the moment.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM

bump.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

pull the handle and see if you can mover it back/forth to get it lined up

Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

when i clean flood cars if the seat brackets move the brackets all the way forward(same direction if you wanted more room if it was bolted in) and usually the will line up if you make sure they are all the way back.

good luck

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks, guys, but the problem is that the brackets won't stay forward (seat slid back.) The seat is freely sliding forwards and back. I have to hold the seat to try to slide the brackets in place, I can't hold the brackets at the same time and, unfortunately, I have no one strong enough to give me a hand. I was hoping someone might know why the seat would not lock into position?