Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Help with car audio

Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Default Help with car audio

I just hooked up an amp (mono channel) and a sub but the only audio i get is from the sub, lyrics and bass are coming through the sub, there is no sound coming from the door speakers.

I have a kenwood ddx318 head unit and a kicker amp and sub.

Anyone have a solution

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Well where are your mids wired to?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure which wire is the mids. Would they be the solid blue one?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Just for clarification your front and rear speakers are wired directly from your head unit right?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You didnt happen to have a factory amp in the trunk did you? If so did you happen to remove it or unplug it?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Just for clarification your front and rear speakers are wired directly from your head unit right?
I'm not sure if they are or not. When I put in my new head unit, the only wires I had to unconnect from the stock radio and then plug into the new one was the harness and the antenna

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
You didnt happen to have a factory amp in the trunk did you? If so did you happen to remove it or unplug it?
No I didn't it's still back there. I didn't mess with any of the wiring associated with the stock amp

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by juaxoo09
I just hooked up an amp (mono channel) and a sub but the only audio i get is from the sub, lyrics and bass are coming through the sub, there is no sound coming from the door speakers.

I have a kenwood ddx318 head unit and a kicker amp and sub.

Anyone have a solution
Can you please be more specific.

What deck do you have. Stock front and rear speakers? Did you simply add the sub amp to the existing stock audio setup? What equipment do you have and what settings are on the amp and how are they set right now?

**Edit**
Not sure how I missed you saying you've got a Kenwood deck, but I did. Wow. Are your mids and highs (door and rear speakers) running off the deck or powered by an amp? I'm gonna assume they're running off the deck....First thing you gotta do is isolate the problems. Let's deal with the sub playing "lyrics" first (That's hella funny to me for some reason). Your deck has two sets on rca's, front and rear/subwoofer, are you sure the rca's are plugged into the rear set on the deck? That could be the whole problem there. I'm not sure from reading your post if the deck was already in and you just added the sub/amp or if all 3 were just installed, i'm going to assume you already had the deck hooked up and just added the sub/amp. There would be no reason why you'd have to modify or otherwise change the wire of your mids/highs in order to add the amp so i'm gonna say the reason they aren't working is cause the plug isn't plugged in all the way on the back of the deck. Or, it could be that your rca's are plugged into the front preouts, which effectively disables the high level inputs (speaker wire connections on the back of the deck), and is why your subs are playing "lyrics". LMAO. Sorry, just can't get over that. I really think i'm on to something with the rca thing though, sounds pretty damn logical to me. Give it a shot and let me know what you find out.

Last edited by Milhouse; 06-30-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM

I'd have to look at what you did, if you can tell us EXACTLY how you wired it up i can tell you how to switch it around. for one, you're not obviously using the amps cross over i'd set that to a certain level (above what ever you set your deck to) just for saftey, in case you loose power and your deck resets you don't damage your sub. not to nock what you're rocking but cheaper amps can damage subs, or cheap subs can be fickle (not sure what you said your running) but you'll want to explain exactly how you wired this, did you use line convers, did you use the decks pre outs ?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by walkingonabullet
I'd have to look at what you did, if you can tell us EXACTLY how you wired it up i can tell you how to switch it around. for one, you're not obviously using the amps cross over i'd set that to a certain level (above what ever you set your deck to) just for saftey, in case you loose power and your deck resets you don't damage your sub. not to nock what you're rocking but cheaper amps can damage subs, or cheap subs can be fickle (not sure what you said your running) but you'll want to explain exactly how you wired this, did you use line convers, did you use the decks pre outs ?
Expensive amps can damage subs just the same, and expensive subs can be fickle too.....let's try not to scare the dude into going out and spending top dollar for audio equipment when it's so not necessary. I ran some POS subs/amp in my car for 2-3yrs with no problem at all, and I never even heard of the brand before, EVER. I can assure you while Sony isn't the best, it's easily better than that off the wall crap I had, it's all about tuning. As long as he sets his gain right and wires the subs right and doesn't get too carried away with the volume know he'll be perfectly fine.