Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Hello, MJ here. I want to ADD a small AMP

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hello, MJ here. I want to ADD a small AMP

Hello, I want to install a small amp just to power a subwoofer. I dont need to vibrate my windows out, just a little punch. I know I cant use the amp under the back deck. I want to ADD an AMP + 1 12" subwoofer, thats it. Any info on how to go about this? Ive got the Subwoofer a 4 ohm 900 watt 12" Sony XPLOD woofer (I have 2, but Im putting just 1 in each Monte) I DONT want to fry anything thats why I need a lil help wirering it. If one of you guys could just point me in the right direction, thats cool..... I was thinking just buy the AMP, Splice into the left and right speakers (rear), hook them to the new AMP (before factory amp) and then just hook up the sub. BUT I dont think its the correct way. Should I remove the factory AMP and replace it with a 1000 watt amp then just rewire it that way? any help would do me good.... thanks a ton... (I want to keep the factory radio in and install the PIE GM12 AUX adapter for my IPOD and a lil bump in the trunk) NOTHING to fancy.... thanks guys....MJ
Ill be the guy putting out the electrical fire in my backyard that you can see on google maps if I didnt get or dont get help lol), not to mention, buying another Monte .........

Attached Thumbnails Hello, MJ here. I want to ADD a small AMP-amp-4-channel.jpg   Hello, MJ here. I want to ADD a small AMP-part.jpg   Hello, MJ here. I want to ADD a small AMP-.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Your idea should work if your amp has speaker level inputs and a low pass crossover built in. I'm no expert but I've seen it done that way before for a quick and dirty install. If you need more help, here are some sites that should be able to provide some assistance:

Basic Car Audio Electronics

If you have any questions on any of it, feel free to ask in this thread and I'm sure someone will be able to answer.

Some more specifics: http://www.the12volt.com/

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

DIYMA.com Note: take what you read with a grain of salt...

http://www.createforum.com/petereuro/ Note: VERY large contrast to DIYMA. Car audio hall of shame should quickly highlight the things to avoid if you're looking to go for a good install.

P.S.
Stolen from my grand prix forum.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey, im located near you currently ad MSOE, how far away are you?

the hardest part will be running the power wire, then its easy from there, do you have an aftermarket headunit?

if not, stop by best buy and they have a thing, im not sure what its called but it converts the speaker frequency to the rca wires, then you can filter out the bass for the sub.

do you have a box for the sub?

setting up the amp is pretty self explanatory, just do the remote, which will be on that filter from best buy, this tells the amp when to turn on and off. hook up the rcas off the filter, then hook up the power and then ground wires, play the volume fairly loud, not too loud though, especially if the sub is new, it will need some wear in time.

with it fairly loud you can use the gain to set up the sub and make it sound right.

if you dont want too much bass just a little extra thump, the xplod is a pretty good price.