Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Head units - help me pick one!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM

if you get just a plaine ol head unit (no DVD) stay away from the GMOS interface. it sucks and failed on me twice. get the PAC brand one instead it actually works and it has an eternal speaker included so u can bypass your factory amp and speakers...comes in handy with the 7th generation idk about the other years

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I never Had a problem with my GMOS harness on my 03.

for single din non DVD id recommend Alpine, and if you go DVD id recommend Kenwood

Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 AM

i got 2 dummys from them...the pac has an external speaker for the chimes so no i can bypass my factory amp easily

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Montess2k
but there is also an adaptor to stop that from happening as well, so dvd's play continuously.
=
Joe
its not an addapter, in most cases a simple relay does the trick, what they do to trick you is use a ground instead of a hot, so you must make sure you switch a ground to the video stop tirgger not a hot, otherwise it wont ever say you're out of park. it also effects GPS now, i dont think you can edit destinations with out your parking break on (or the bypass) not sure on that, depends on the brand for the 2nd one, thats not a standard feature yet.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know I can edit my gps, watch dvd's, or use any other feature that is associated with my system, while in park, and while driving....I could have sworn I bought something to make this happen, but if it is a way of wiring, then that must be the case.

Joe

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hello, seems what ever you choose to do, be prepared to spend extra money on an interface unit or be willing to accept that your steering wheel controls for your stereo will no longer work. They are over $100 additional.... Good luck with your upgrade. I installed a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD unit. Lets you use your IPOD, watch dvd's, and such. prices keep falling on these... let us know how things go. Ebay, pawn shops and even Craigslist are great sources for high quality low cost gear.
I read this and just went, "Ohhh, crap, you're right." Fortunately I think I've used those controls all of two times in the 9 months I've owned the car, so it shouldn't be an issue affecting me greatly.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'm hearing a lot of good things about Pioneer...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

For the Video while driving thing:
The wire that you are suppose to hook to the parking break hood it up with you ground wire and problem solved. I can Edit my GPS while driving too.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Montess2k
I know I can edit my gps, watch dvd's, or use any other feature that is associated with my system, while in park, and while driving....I could have sworn I bought something to make this happen, but if it is a way of wiring, then that must be the case.

Joe
you may have, but legaly, the companys, cant produce such a thing since its illegal to watch a movie and drive at the same time. so likly you bought something somebody else made. ive never seen anything but i woudlnt put it past sombodyt o make such a thing.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
For the Video while driving thing:
The wire that you are suppose to hook to the parking break hood it up with you ground wire and problem solved. I can Edit my GPS while driving too.
that doesnt work on pioneer decks because they put in a protocal that asks for the ground to be conntected only after the car starts, if its connected before hand it wotn work. hense the relay thats turned on by a relay.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe the part I got at the time was a PAC TR-7 It's been so long though that I forgot...

Joe

Quick Reply: Head units - help me pick one!