Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Default harness

ok gang i am very interested in istalling an aftermarket deck, now after looking at past post i have found that thier is a kit made for the monte for a flush mount now is thier a wiring harness i can use i know that my local auto part carrys some for other cars but since mine is a 05 i was wondering is thier is one made to adapt an aftermarket HU

Old 10-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Default RE: harness

yes there are after market harnesses for them.

but not normally one from the after market deck and the car but if you go to a stereo shop they can make one to do jus tthat for you.
Other wise you can get one that plugs in to the harness for your car then has open ends on it so you can wire the new stereo in to it then it will plug striaght in to teh car for you,

honestly i would do the second as it is not that hard most of the time match the colors or the two diogram keys to the right colors.
use shrink wrap on al connections and soder them all for a good connection and you will be good to go.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 AM

ok well i went in to my local stereo shop today and asked asked them if they had a harness for my car and this guy came out with this huge harness for about 80 bucks and started saying i had to relocate the stock radio to the trunk because of the warnings it gives (oil pressure,etc?) so basically it sounds like i will have two hu in my car the one in the dash and the stock one.NOW i know thier is another solution but dont know who else makes harness, maybe metra they do alot of harness's , someone please help with some more info thanks

Old 11-26-2005, 06:14 AM

yes you can get that harness and put the old one in the trunk or if you dont mind reading the manual on your car there are other ways to reset the warrnings etc.. so with that said you dont actually need to relocate it to the tunk just get a short harness to allow you to hook in in to the dash and for get about the relocation carp.

I made mine i went to the bone yard before i left the states and cut the plugs off of the harness that was in the ca then took the female side of it and wired it to the radio and stuck it in to the dash useing the other side of teh stock harness to hook it up./

Works good just dont have all of the bells now and also the steering wheel controlls have to have a harness for them you can get it from crutchfeild they have all the stuff you need there to make the car work fine with outthe 40 foot long thing to put one in the trunk

Old 11-27-2005, 01:40 AM

yeah thats what i want,i could do without the chimes and oil life indicator, now i need to know where to get a regular harness to do this any info on where i could get one , i saw one on crutchfield.com that still came with a chime but i cost 80 bucks looking for something cheaper

Old 11-27-2005, 10:33 AM

go to a bone yard, get a monte carlo harness out of the car that is in the bone yard, take it to past the plug that gose in to the stereo.

there are two plugs on it
1 gose to the back of the stereo
2 gose in to the main harness of the car.

take it from the point to where it gose in to the main harness.
then you have a complete harness for your car.

Now take out the harness in your car.
Plug in the one you got from the bone yard.
cut the plug that gose to the back of the radio off of the NEW harness
wire in your raddio and figure out the speakers etc. to make sure they all work right in the car.

take the harness back out and disconnect the harness from your stereo that you want to put in to your car.
soldier all of the joints and heat shrink them all togeather so that you know they will not cvome back apart on you.
Now reinstall this harness in to the car, plug your new stereo in to it.
put the dash back togeather and enjoy your new stereo

that is about as easy as it can get and the cheapest i hav eseen the harness i took out of the monte i did cost me like 10.00 I told them i needed the wires and that was all. most places will not even charge you for it unless they think it is a part you have to have. so make it out as no big deal and you can get it cheaper.

this way your not cutting any wires out of either cars harness and not ruining the one in the bone yard for someone else.

And you will have the harness you need to make your system work just fine and all will be good.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:14 PM

ok sounds easy but where i live thiers never any newer cars thier in the bone yard, guess i have to look hard

Old 11-29-2005, 05:34 AM

go in to a local body shop or a dealer and see if they can order you one.

I would try the body shop first and ask if they know of any that you could get the parts off of it. You might be suprised to find out they know where to find cars that you would not imagine LOL
or the other option is to see if the dealer can get you a plug for the harness with pig tails on it somethign that you can plug in to your factory harness with out geting the one for the stereo liek they one you saw alredy. the plug is the worse part to get the rest can be made with raw wire and some crip fittings

Old 12-02-2005, 02:10 AM

thanks for the info, after some research and identifiying what the plug looks like i found one on ebay for 5 bucks also found the other harness i saw on metra or scosche i forget which on, but its one that has the plug and some sort of divice to retain the chime it retails for 100 bucks i should win it for $1, so i should have two harness's to work with next week, i will let u know how it turns out