Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Glove Box Fridge

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Glove Box Fridge

Working on an idea for a glove box fridge using a peltier cooler. I think it'd be a lot more efficient than an a/c version. There's a lot of problems to solve but I thought this would be the place to talk about it, so here goes:

First, I'm going to need to get the glove box out. How hard is this? I've taken the driver's side dash out, but not the whole thing. I'm going to need to insulate it somehow, the better insulation the easier it will be to cool.

Next thing would be to install the Peltier cooler (which means possibly cutting a hole in the glovebox...ouch). The cooler will maintain approx. a 30 degree difference between the hot and cold sides, so the cooler you can keep the 'hot' side, the colder it willl be inside. Will have to power it somehow (possibly run it into the fuse box?), as well as cool it (possible to cool it with A/C system...?).

Anyway, there's a few problems to solve, but how cool would it be to have a fridge built into the dash? Would love to hear some feedback on the idea here!!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM

I think it's a great idea `if you take long journey's..., but I like to stop & take breaks & check my tires etc. I know that some vehicle do have them, but I don't know the ones that do ? Maybe a member knows & will post ?

I wouldn't let anyone drink in my Monte & if they were thirsty we would stop & I'd let them `out to get a drink & I'd leave them (Lol) jk

You can find a lot of infor on Google etc on this topic, but maybe ?, one of our member's has tried or has done it already ?, or has knowledge on How 2 ?

Keep us updated & good luck on your project

Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

To be honest, I'm a little scared to start it.

There are systems out there, but they use an extra A/C vent that's built into the glovebox, which has some obvious drawbacks (Car has to be on and A/C has to be running). The Peltier system is more of a heat sink...it uses electrical current to pull heat out of a space and could theoretically work much better than the A/C idea. It's the same thing those little 'car fridges' work on, but I was hoping to be able to build it a bit more efficiently. I've heard of them being built to drop the temp 25-30 degrees with good insulation, which on a 80 degree day is a nice and chilly 50...

I've got out-of-state family that we visit pretty regularly, so having cool drinks would be great. I don't like people drinking in the car either, but when it's just my wife and I, we're just careful.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by bfenty
To be honest, .

To `be honest, I'd be afraid also . If you have the time/extra $'s & knowledge then it could be a fun & innovative project...

I know I'd first make sure that everything else on my ride was in top condition > like tires/brakes/shocks/cooling system, tuned/etc...

It's great to have a repair fund or mod fund for your ride....I know I just purchased a pair of wipers & I was shocked at how much the price has gone `up.....WoW

Keep us updated on what you decide to do...Good Luck 4-Sure

Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it's a neat idea but i would think one of those refrigerated coolers that plugs into a 120V power outlet would be much easyier. they are a little pricy but well worth the cost if you go on alot of road trips, every truck driver i know has one and they love it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

RV accessory shops sell various sized 12v fridges and warmer/fridge combos. You might find one there sized close to the glove box opening. Some SUVs (like Cadillac) have a fridge as an option, but that style is in the console, not the dash.