Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Front Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Default Front Door Speakers

Greetings, I have a 2003 SS, I am changing the front door speakers to Infinity Kappa components. I have a couple of questions, The factory has a 4 pin harness and all I can find for a GM is a 2 pin adapter, is there anything out there that will allow me not to cut into the factory wiring? Since I am changing the tweeters out and the speakers I have come with a crossover should I just use the feed from the 6 3/4" speaker and safe off the factory tweeter feed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx Jim.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Default RE: Front Door Speakers

good question. and i hope that ya keep me posted LOL I also have a 03 SS.

What mine are is the factory plug off the speaker was taken off and then resodired regular leads on to it so i have a pig tail now instead of cutting the factory harness. I hate doing this for anythign so i try real hard not to .

But i dont rember how i did the factory tweeter feed if it went to the cross over or there was no hook up for it so i didnt replace them on the connector i made.

But basically i figured i was not going to be pulling them back out of the car so i just tore apart the factory speaker to get the plug that was needed. to give me a male female connector set up.

then i shrank wrap the whole thign to seal it from water etc....

Old 04-12-2008, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Bxbootlegger

Greetings, I have a 2003 SS, I am changing the front door speakers to Infinity Kappa components. I have a couple of questions, The factory has a 4 pin harness and all I can find for a GM is a 2 pin adapter, is there anything out there that will allow me not to cut into the factory wiring? Since I am changing the tweeters out and the speakers I have come with a crossover should I just use the feed from the 6 3/4" speaker and safe off the factory tweeter feed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx Jim.
Yeah man, you can use what I call wire taps to tap into the existing wires without cutting anything off, you can pick them up anywhere you can get butt splice connectors.

As for the tweeter connection, you can do just like you said, your crossover will ensure it doesn't get any signals lower than what you set it to so you'll be good to go.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM

I decided to do what Mickey said. I had to remove the old speakers from the harness in order to get them off the mounting bracket.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM

After several configurations, what I've come up with for the best sound is to hook up the 6 1/2" speaker to the Blue (+) and White (-) wires. For the tweeter use the Red (+) and Black (-) wires threw the crossover. This gave a nice crisp tone with little distortion. The woofer wiring is according to a Crutchfield tech and the tweeter wiring was marked on the factory tweeter. I have several photos that I shall post in the next few days. Also the stock speaker harness looks incredibly similar to the alternator plug.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 PM

glad to ehar it is working out for ya.

Also will be nice to see how you installed everythign also.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 PM

I decided to do what Mickey said. I had to remove the old speakers from the harness in order to get them off the mounting bracket.
Coolio dude. Did you have to modify the bracket in order to get your speakers to fit in it?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:00 PM

The 6 1/2's bolted right in ... no adapter bracket. The tweeters I had to drill and file the stock tweeter mount out of the the plastic adapter. Also had to clearance the door (read hit with hammer) behind the mounting bracket.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 PM

The 6 1/2's bolted right in ... no adapter bracket. The tweeters I had to drill and file the stock tweeter mount out of the the plastic adapter. Also had to clearance the door (read hit with hammer) behind the mounting bracket.
Wow, I had to do some cutting on my mounting bracket to get my speakers to fit due to the size of the basket/magnet. But that was the only mod I needed to do.