Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): steering wheel button removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default steering wheel button removal

Edit: Ok, everything has been replaced!

Tools needed:
t20 torx bit
thin flat head screw driver/ or any item that can wedge in the back holes (atleast 3-4 inches long)
7mm socket/or screwdriver (to remove dash)

dashboard removal is optional, but it does make it alot easier to move around without it.
First pop off the disk over the ignition that says "off acc on start" You can easily pry it with a pen(soft plastic won't scratch or chip paint) Or use a flat head screwdriver. Once pryed, removal of the rubber cover isn't really needed. (I removed it to inspect everything)

Next there is 4 screws you need to remove. (not a pic of my monte)
the ones underneath are for the removal of the bottom cover under the steering wheel.(remove it to prevent scratching. You'll find them by unfastening the 2 clips on the panel closest to the floor. the far left requires you to remove the fuse panel cover. Far right requires the glove box to be open.

Angle the steering wheel down, and recommended to put on the e-brake and move the shift **** into selection 1 or neutral.
Gently pry foward starting from the bottom of the radio(in front of the shifter) & work your way around. Unplug the hazard flasher & pull out of the way.

Would not be a bad idea to change your hazard flasher while you have the dash off(common problem)

Next, now that the dash is out of the way time to remove the air bag. There are 3 holes in the back. feel them. ignore the screws. You will feel a hole like this.

That is the hole you wedge your screwdriver into. Its easier if the wheel is spun to the side.
Before you start prying it loose, disconnect the negative terminal off your battery to eliminate any power going to the air bag.(pull the fuse to be extra safe too) Pull with moderate to heavy pressure until airbag begins to pull forward from each hole.

Airbag finally removed:

Unplugging is not neccessary.
the red wire (arrowed) goes into the arrowed hole. the white sleeve has a notch to lock the wire in place.

Next, remove the hold down screws.

Pry them out & remove the pigtails to the switches. To remove the switches from the plastic covers, wedge something long and thin on the sides and push that side button till it pops. Do the opposite & switch will fall out. I used a voltage tester tip. (the sharp pointer piece) be gentle, you can easily break the plastic its soft.
Assemble everything backwards from install, pay attention to the wires & make sure everything is tucked in the right spot when re-installing the air bag & there you go! shiny new buttons! For safety, place the key in the ignition from the passenger seat, go through ACC, On, Start one by one on the ignition then finally start the car. JUST in case there is some sort of fluke & the airbag deploys, atleast you'll be out of the way.
Also, check the horn, check your buttons to make sure its good, obviously if a new hazard switch is installed, check that too.
before:

New buttons have been clearcoated to prevent any more chipping.

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 04-12-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i know there are a lot of threads on the steering wheel button removal already if you do the search, but i'll see if i can give you little tips. now that i had some practice at the jy couple times more. when i first removed on my 04 ss several years it was real easy. seem like every mc steering wheel i pulled out are pain in the *** to drop the air bag. tools you need is small medium flat head screw driver about 5-6" long. disconnect the battery and unplug the driver side air bag sensor. the sensor plug is in yellow color on the driver's side of the dash bezel. tilt the steering wheel all the way down. you might have to remove the dash bezel to make it easier, i can't remember!! the reason of removing the bezel is for the screw driver to have some room.

put your hand behind the steering wheel cover and place your pointing finger inside the holes there should be 3 holes. run your finger in each hole and you will feel something hard metal like. that would be the screw holding steering wheel cover don't worry about the screw or mess with them. right next to the screw there is another hole without screw and that's where you will have to shove the screw driver in and pry up to pop out the air bag. do that to the next 2 holes until the air bag pop out. a reminder, make sure you put one hand holding the air bag when you get to the last hole on prying it cuz the air bag will drop down and might rip out the horn wire and air bag wires.

1st pic- it's of all the 3 holes that hold the air bag. if you look at the top hole and other 2 you will see a wire like that run across the hole. that's the wire you pry with screw driver to release the air bag.

2nd pic- (top hole) i had a screw driver behind it and pry on it so you can see how it release the air bag.

3rd pic- this is what holding the air bag to the steering wheel. there's 3 springs around the silver spikes. look closer at the spikes you can see a slight angle cut on them. they are cut like that so it can hold the air bag to the wire in the hole.

with the pics i hope this will help and give idea how to remove the air bag and steering wheel buttons. when prying out i found it easy by prying it up toward the passenger seat on all 3 holes.

Last edited by nemesis; 11-25-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member

bump to help out others.
plan on doing this tomorrow

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
bump to help out others.
plan on doing this tomorrow
It's not hard to remove the airbag .I did it once at a car show to change out somebody's Monte buttons ..

Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
It's not hard to remove the airbag .I did it once at a car show to change out somebody's Monte buttons ..
nice!

buttons are clear coated & looking good! Wish I had a usb cable with me to take pics..

Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM

I've had replacement buttons since forever , still haven't mustard the courage to take on such task.

With my luck, I'm afraid I'd break something that's uber expensive to fix.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
I've had replacement buttons since forever , still haven't mustard the courage to take on such task.

With my luck, I'm afraid I'd break something that's uber expensive to fix.
but red leds homie

Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member

Are the holes you use to pry the airbag out the tiny little square openings? or is it right next to the screw???

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
Are the holes you use to pry the airbag out the tiny little square openings? or is it right next to the screw???
Next to the screw

Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member

I almost got the airbag off. Having trouble with the last one. Took the dashboard cover off & not happy with what I'm seeing. I'm thinking my car may have been a flood car & not reported....(carfax didn't say it) Unless this is normal...(highly doubt it)

_MG_9828_zpsbb07ee49.jpg

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): steering wheel button removal