Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Finally, a video of my SA-12's in action

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by GreenEyedMonte
Take if from me, if you want some song with some real bass look for GET SOME CRUNK IN YO' SYSTEM..garunteed to be the most bass you ever heard.
LMAO

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith
I did SPL at the last one it was a DB drag in Bend Or. with the 2 12" Mtx we burped the subs at 43 htz and hit 159.3 DB
What meter was used? Was this a legal, sealed up on the dash metering or outlaw with the mic in the port? When was this show? What car was this in? How was your box configuration? Was this in the box you used daily for music? How much power were the subs getting and what model subs were they? Not even gonna lie Keith, i'm very skeptical at this point. I've seen what it takes to hit 150, let alone flirt with 160.

Originally Posted by trewyn15
it was 2 12s in a single port box with the port on the left and subs on the right, powered by a bridged amp. he is using the MRP-M1000 bridged to two, not sure what it would be but theyre 4-ohms, so i think like 250 watts to each sub? not sure how it works exactly.

i was gonna do ports on each side of the rear deck speakers, and then power the rear stock speakers with the amp, and yeah my amp is currently stock, but i have an alpine mrp-f300 for my new speakers and potentially the back speakers.
Too much info I don't know for that to mean anything to me, I don't know how he's got his subs wired, how his amp is wired up, the volume of the box, what it's tuned to, if it's airtight, if it's prefab or custom. I know type r's are dvc so in order to run bridged to an amp the coils and subs would have to be wired together and with d4 subs the final impedance would be 1ohm if he did it right so they'd be getting full power out of that amp IF HIS ELECTRICAL CAN HANDLE IT.

Good luck with your porting idea

Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
LMAO

What meter was used? Was this a legal, sealed up on the dash metering or outlaw with the mic in the port? When was this show? What car was this in? How was your box configuration? Was this in the box you used daily for music? How much power were the subs getting and what model subs were they? Not even gonna lie Keith, i'm very skeptical at this point. I've seen what it takes to hit 150, let alone flirt with 160.

Too much info I don't know for that to mean anything to me, I don't know how he's got his subs wired, how his amp is wired up, the volume of the box, what it's tuned to, if it's airtight, if it's prefab or custom. I know type r's are dvc so in order to run bridged to an amp the coils and subs would have to be wired together and with d4 subs the final impedance would be 1ohm if he did it right so they'd be getting full power out of that amp IF HIS ELECTRICAL CAN HANDLE IT.

Good luck with your porting idea
yeah, sorry i have no idea either lol i do know the amp is not 1 ohm stable, he doesnt even know how it was done, like i said mommy and daddy paid for everything, he doesnt know an ounce about car audio or even how to hook up a sub or amp.

but what did you mean by the big port in the middle? i think one circular hole might look weird but if these speakers turn out good, i may just cop your style and take the rear speakers out, or put the rears in boxes and put them in the trunk for when the trunk is popped.

not sure if that last idea sounds dumb or not lol

Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What meter was used? Was this a legal, sealed up on the dash metering or outlaw with the Mic in the port? When was this show? What car was this in? How was your box configuration? Was this in the box you used daily for music? How much power were the subs getting and what model subs were they? Not even gonna lie Keith, I'm very skeptical at this point. I've seen what it takes to hit 150, let alone flirt with 160.

OK it was outlaw all the way they were using Audio Control SA-3055 the Mic was 6 1/2 inches way from the port .My Monte Carlo was the car in this show 5 cubic foot down firing box with the 2 4" ports 12" long 1 3/4" thick box fiberglassed on the inside (the one in the picture yesterday )
I am running 3 car batteries,300 amp alternator ,Soundstream BX-20Z (Digital Bass Driver ) 2 MTX Audio XThunder 1000XD wired at 2 ohms,MTX Audio TS8512-44 (12" Dual 4 ohm Thunder Square 8500 Superwoofer ) we had the amps turned 3/4 of the way up the box was made for SPL and according to my MTX contacts specs.
Now as you said you are skeptical I can not help you with that part all I can say is I am a man of my word and I have no reason to lie posting something on the forum does not get me fame,glory ,or money it just is what it is and believe me or not ...I was there and that is what the subs hit. that is all I can tell you...

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM

go to I tunes or lime-wire and get the Bass Mechanic full play list it has all the sign sweeps and every thing to burp your system 20htz -100 htz (find the tuning of your sub box max DB never ply music at a competition ) it is the best way to burp your system for a show / just showing it off
Yeah, I've heard songs that bang way harder than that song he suggested, DJ Billy E is one artist that comes to mind when I want a bangin' bass song.

Sometimes you have to play music at comps, like in dbDrag bass racing. But as far as db Drag racing, burping is definitely the way to go

Originally Posted by trewyn15
yeah, sorry i have no idea either lol i do know the amp is not 1 ohm stable, he doesnt even know how it was done, like i said mommy and daddy paid for everything, he doesnt know an ounce about car audio or even how to hook up a sub or amp.

but what did you mean by the big port in the middle? i think one circular hole might look weird but if these speakers turn out good, i may just cop your style and take the rear speakers out, or put the rears in boxes and put them in the trunk for when the trunk is popped.

not sure if that last idea sounds dumb or not lol
Well, if he's got d4 subs going to a mono amp, I guess he could wire the coils in series and the subs in parallel, ending up with a 4 ohm load....if that's the case then 600 rms on two subs that can take 600rms each....there's the problem!

I meant to cut a large hole, rectangular or square, in the area between the 6x9's, cover the hole with speaker grill cloth, that way you can keep your 6x9's if you insist and still have a port in the deck for the bass to get in through.

OK it was outlaw all the way they were using Audio Control SA-3055 the Mic was 6 1/2 inches way from the port .
Outlaw on an AC Meter, ok that's believeable. A TL meter is the standard now, it's more precise and accurate than an AC meter so I was comparing what it takes to hit that number sealed on the dash on a TL......huge difference! Outlaw numbers, to me, are like peak ratings for speakers or amps, I want to know what it does legal on a TL (sealed on the dash). Now if you could do that number legal with that setup, i'm definitely building a down firing box!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Yeah, I've heard songs that bang way harder than that song he suggested, DJ Billy E is one artist that comes to mind when I want a bangin' bass song.

Sometimes you have to play music at comps, like in dbDrag bass racing. But as far as db Drag racing, burping is definitely the way to go

Outlaw on an AC Meter, OK that's believable. A TL meter is the standard now, it's more precise and accurate than an AC meter so I was comparing what it takes to hit that number sealed on the dash on a TL......huge difference! Outlaw numbers, to me, are like peak ratings for speakers or amps, I want to know what it does legal on a TL (sealed on the dash). Now if you could do that number legal with that setup, I'm definitely building a down firing box!!!
DJ Billy E is a great artist for sure !!
They are the peak #'s for sure and for a short period of time the car at the shop was 153.7db with the seats down and with the Mic on the dash dash that was the max I hit that way the day before when we were setting it all up I can't wait to see what I am hitting now with the 2 15"L7 and the amps turned all the way up we did have to do a sealed box just to have a little more control of the subs and the ported or vented box was going to be huge!! if I am 155 db on the dash now consistently I would be happy for sure and like I sad I was a local shop putting the Db Drag on when I go to Portland it will be a sanction event all the way !! I will tell you to seriously look at the down fire box with the porting on the top pulling the back pressure off for sure man that box hit hard for sure !!

Last edited by Blazed SS; 05-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM

I will tell you to seriously look at the down fire box with the porting on the top pulling the back pressure off for sure man that box hit hard for sure !!
Well good luck on pulling a 155 out of your trunk.

So what amps are you gonna run for the subs on the new setup?

You've really got my mind going with this downfiring configuration. I think what I'll do is go ahead and build my slot ported box first, get that taken care of and then I can take my time with this downfiring setup. When you say port at the top, what do you mean? firing to the back, towards the sky or firing forward?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Well good luck on pulling a 155 out of your trunk.

So what amps are you gonna run for the subs on the new setup?

You've really got my mind going with this downfiring configuration. I think what I'll do is go ahead and build my slot ported box first, get that taken care of and then I can take my time with this downfiring setup. When you say port at the top, what do you mean? firing to the back, towards the sky or firing forward?
That is what I am hoping for the 2 square 15" L-7 are like having 2 round 18" subs .There is more air being pushed 30" of air ( old 12" square subs ) 36" of air with the new 15" square ones
I am keeping the 2 Mtx amps (MTX Audio XThunder 1000XD )I got for free for now and I do have then turned up all the way now and there running at 2 ohm each and that is all the kicker 15" L-7's can handle for RMS

Ok on the downfiring box the subs are shooting down to the floor of the car and the ports a pulling of the back side of the subs the ports or vents shoot to and off the back window (to the sky) we left a 2 1/2" X 36" long vent on ether side of the box (to the interior and into the trunk )on the down side of the box so when the subs push down we could pull the pressure off that also the 2 1/2" is the air gap left from moving the subs off the floor pan (for the excursion of the subs as they move) so easy for me to draw and harder to explain LOL

Last edited by Blazed SS; 05-25-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 PM

i started the down firing thing. lol ugghhh

im sure its hard to do in a trunk. my friend has 3 inches on the bottom of his box, and its as tall as the seats up to the headrest.

ILL ASK HIM THE SPECS TOMMORROW.

his is f'nnn insane. it basicly takes up the entire back seat, or wear the back seat used to be.

im not great at building custom boxes but ill ask him. he told me for sure the deeper you make the box the deeper the bass[lower tones] and higher spl, not higher volumes. the only way you get a higher volume is when you increase the watts.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 PM

That is what I am hoping for

Ok on the downfiring box...
So you're hoping for a 155, sealed up, on the dash, with 2 15's and 2000rms out of your trunk? Man, that's a tall order but best of luck to ya.

Ya know man, the more I think about a down firing box, the more I don't think it would be a good idea for me. Afterall, my goal is not to have a meter queen, spl vehicle or a burp machine....I just want a loud daily driver, my goal is to get into the mid 140's on music. I'd guess i'm somewhere around 140 now so I have a long way to go. I'm gonna have to get on a meter and test my current setup to see what my peak frequency is and what i'm doing spl wise that way when I get this next box done I have something to compare it to.

Originally Posted by mak330
he told me for sure the deeper you make the box the deeper the bass[lower tones] and higher spl, not higher volumes. the only way you get a higher volume is when you increase the watts.
My car doesn't like the lows very much, I mean, they're there and noticeable but not as loud as notes in the upper 30's to mid 40's. So going lower than I can now probably won't be much of an accomplishment due to my cars resonant frequency. That being said, i'm going to tune my next box a little higher so the notes my car loves are played with even more emphasis than they do now.

Last edited by 04MonteLS; 05-25-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey 04Montels check out women lie men lie its got some nice bass

On that port how big do you think it should be and what would you use to cover it?

I have my speakers installed and they're definately enough to cover for the rears but I want my car to be loud so I want rears too but want more of that bass from the trunk, its kinda a sticky situation and any input would be great

Quick Reply: Finally, a video of my SA-12's in action