Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

DRL Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Default DRL Fix

I tried this mod today and it worked. This solved the Daytime Running Lights problem on my 2005 LT. HOWEVER, it did not removed the "Auto On" Headlights function for nighttime driving. To remove the Auto On function the photo sensor has to be somewhere where there is constant illumination, so it tells the computer its always daytime. Heres the article.

2005 Chevrolet Impala. Simply pull the DRL relay out of the fuse block under the hood and bend over pin 87. Why this works: Pins 87 and 30 are the two pins that are connected together when the relay is energized. Bending 87 over will still let the relay energize but since the pin is bent over, the DRL's don't come on. As long as the computer senses the resistance of the relay coil between the two trigger pins (85 and 86) it thinks all is OK and doesn't set any codes. If you bend over either of the trigger pins like suggested for other vehicles, the computer will display "Service Vehicle Soon" in the info center.
Note: probably works for other model years and for Monte Carlo too.

Enjoy!

-Ant

Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Default RE: DRL Fix

you know i have got to say that this surprised me we have been tring to figure out how to kill the drls for ever and all we had to do was bend a stupid pin over on a relay problem solved i diddnt believe it would work so i even went out and tried it and it work but its not pin 87 its 87a which is the pin right in the middle

Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM

I bent 87 and then I took a hyper white LED and aimed it at the photo sensor to simulate Daytime. I kept it aimed and turned on the car, and low and behold no DRL. However when I stopped aiming the light the Auto ons kicked in. Question? Did you have to shift the car out of park to check this?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM

This kit here takes care of the DRL's and the Auto on headlights, both of which can be disabled independently via rocker switches supplied in the kit.

Description: The DRL/ALC Bypass Harness consists of two plug & play (no cutting or splicing) harnesses w/ normal/bypass switches that allow the Daytime Running Lights and Automatic Light Control to be disabled independently. When bypassed, no service codes or warning messages are displayed on the cluster. The kit comes with complete step-by-step installation instructions, two harnesses, and six zip-ties. Note: When ALC is bypassed, the Odometer and Radio Display will not dim w/ the dimmer and the remote keyless approach lights do not illuminate.

http://bbengineer.home.comcast.net/c...pala/store.htm

Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 AM

well this was free and it worked too

Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 AM

I was thinkin' it, I just wasn't saying it. That harness is $75 bucks, the relay was free....you decide.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 AM

This is how I look at it.............I'd much rather buy the harness cause it not only addresses two issues, but they can both be disabled from the comfort of the drivers seat with the flip of a switch. I think this would be a definite plus when selling the car cause the buyer now has the option of disabling said features if he/she chooses, I wish I had that ability when I bought the car! Not to mention that it is very possible to damage/break the pin on the relay by bending it, I'd rather not deal with that, I like having options and the ability to change my mind at the drop of a dime and being able to reverse what I've done without so much as having to unlock my door. $75 is a very small price to pay for such a practical item considering the insane amounts of money people spend on cosmetic stuff like the SLP upper grill which costs $140 and serves no functional purpose at all.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 AM

I can definately see your point. For me, it's practical to just delete these features for the sake of my HID's, plus it gives other members options on what they want to do. Better to have 2 ways to do it than 1. But to each his own! Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 AM

ORIGINAL: White05LT

I can definately see your point. For me, it's practical to just delete these features for the sake of my HID's, plus it gives other members options on what they want to do. Better to have 2 ways to do it than 1. But to each his own! Enjoy!
For the record, I can't stand DRL's

Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Kit's pretty cool. At least with that you can go back and forth if desired.

Quick Reply: DRL Fix