Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Question couple of questions

So most people know from my last forum that i need a new box for my 15in sub. I have been looking on ebay for a ported box and it seems that most of the ported boxes are 2.7 to 2.9 cubs, you guys said i should get a 2-2.3 box now does make a difference? also does dynamat make a difference in the door panels?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by monte793
So most people know from my last forum that i need a new box for my 15in sub. I have been looking on ebay for a ported box and it seems that most of the ported boxes are 2.7 to 2.9 cubs, you guys said i should get a 2-2.3 box now does make a difference? also does dynamat make a difference in the door panels?
Do you have a drill, a phillips screwdriver bit, a jigsaw and some wood glue? If so, I can design you a box, you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a sheet of 3/4" mdf and they can make all the cuts for you. You just take it home and mock it up, predrill your holes, glue and screw and call it a day! Then all you gotta do is cut the sub opening, predrill the holes for the sub, screw them in and done deal! You just built your first custom box for $35! Your box will need to be 2 cubes sealed or 2.3 cubes ported

Sound deadening makes a big difference, a very worthwhile cost when doing a nice sound system.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

ok well does it have to be ported because it seems like there is a lot more technical work to it beside just cut and put together

Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by monte793
ok well does it have to be ported because it seems like there is a lot more technical work to it beside just cut and put together
Unless you're designing the box you won't have any technical work besides screw and glue.

But to answer your question, no, it doesn't have to be ported. That's totally up to you. Just know that a ported box will hit deeper and get louder, while a sealed will give you cleaner, more accurate bass, it'll be more punchy than boomy. So if you listen to mostly rock music, you'd probably appreciate sealed more. But if you listen to a fair share of rap music, you might want to go ported. It's up to you though. So let me know if you want me to hook you up with a design and what type of box you want and I'll make it happen.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Unless you're designing the box you won't have any technical work besides screw and glue.

But to answer your question, no, it doesn't have to be ported. That's totally up to you. Just know that a ported box will hit deeper and get louder, while a sealed will give you cleaner, more accurate bass, it'll be more punchy than boomy. So if you listen to mostly rock music, you'd probably appreciate sealed more. But if you listen to a fair share of rap music, you might want to go ported. It's up to you though. So let me know if you want me to hook you up with a design and what type of box you want and I'll make it happen.
Can i get a design? I have 2 15" rockford fosgate p1's and would like to have a ported box for my 04 monte. thx in advanced.