Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Can I run a subs and an amp to my stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Can I run a subs and an amp to my stock radio?

A friend of mine is selling two 12 subs in a box with an amp at a great price. My question is, do I have to get an aftermarket radio, or can I use them with my stock radio? Some people have told me the stock radio doesn't have the output for the sub or amp (idk which one he said). If I can use my stock radio, does anyone know how to wire them? Is it hard? Sorry but I am very bad with car audio Never understood it too much

The car is a 2004 if that matters. Has the stock 2004 radio

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Grab a line out converter and tap into the output for the rear speakers by scrapping the coating off the wires and wrapping the wire from the line out converter around them. Then run RCA's from the line out converter to the amp.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member

What exactly is a line out converter? And i would just kinda wrap the wire from the sub (or amp, idk which one you were referring to) around the wire from the rear speakers?

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with this stuff

Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TMoney
What exactly is a line out converter? And i would just kinda wrap the wire from the sub (or amp, idk which one you were referring to) around the wire from the rear speakers?

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with this stuff
Haha its ok I just did this myself. Just look up line out converter and you will find them. You splice the wires from the line out converter in with the wires the run into your factory amp. This will create the signal to go to your aftermarket amp.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member

Does this line out converter connect to the back of my radio? And What will the amp I am buying connect to? My friend said I need the amp he is selling because its alot of bass

Is there like a how to video on how to do this?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

The line out converter does not connect to the radio.it connects to the rear speaker. That would be the positive and negative wires of the speaker. The amp will connect to the line out converter with the rca cables. If you go on youtube and type in how to install line out converter I am sure there is a video. It is not hard to do I have done this in my dad's g6.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member

So if i am understanding this correctly, I can install a sub and amp without having to remove my stock headunit? Or no?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM
1 Year Member

Does this line out converter connect to the back of my radio? And What will the amp I am buying connect to? My friend said I need the amp he is selling because its alot of bass

Is there like a how to video on how to do this?
No, it connects to the wires in your trunk. Then you connect the line out converter to the amp. Whats the rms rating for the sub he is selling you?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
No, it connects to the wires in your trunk. Then you connect the line out converter to the amp. Whats the rms rating for the sub he is selling you?
Going to see the guy later ill find out. So the line out converter connects to the wires in my truck along with the aftermarket amp? And then the new amp connects to the subs?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
1 Year Member

Going to see the guy later ill find out. So the line out converter connects to the wires in my truck along with the aftermarket amp? And then the new amp connects to the subs?
Essentially yes.

Quick Reply: Can I run a subs and an amp to my stock radio?