Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Battery short/ aftermarket radio won't work inside car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Exclamation Battery short/ aftermarket radio won't work inside car

Hey guys. So a few weeks ago my 2001 Monte Carlo's electrical system seem to short when I turned the key there was a small pop and the car wouldn't start, but the aftermarket radio repeatedly came on and off and then wouldn't come back on once the car started.

I figured it was just the fuse on the back of the radio, once I got around to pulling the radio I found that the fuse was fine, replaced it for good measure. Hooked the radio to a power supply and it fired up fine.

Once back in the radio it would not come on for anything. But here's the kicker, if the battery is disconnect and reconnected, it comes on for a split second with the ignition in the off position, but doesn't come back on.

Additionally, every so often my car won't start and a hear that pop; so I had my gf turn the key while I watched, and the popping turns out to produce smoke right at the positive terminal. I have a new battery it's a DS D3400 and I have a wired standalone digital voltmeter always wired to it. Volts never go under 12v even during problem.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas? Really need my music back. Thanks guys.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You either have a loose connection....
An open positive ground... Or a relay is shorted out... Theres obviously something not hooked up correctly or the positive short is an open/bare wire somewhere.... You might want to take it to a professional instahler to remedy it!.... Theres obviously an issue that's not very apparent... or something your over looking...

That's my Guess...

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Yeah, I disconnected everything but the factory bare terminal connectors. dealership wants $200 to look at the electrical system. Not looking forward to paying for someone to tell me they can't help me...lol... Audio system was working for 2 years just fine until then.

I don't know dude.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DJTJ
Yeah, I disconnected everything but the factory bare terminal connectors.
I'll bet the chassis of the radio is shorting against those bare terminals. Aftermarket radios usually have more depth and it's common for the back and sides to press up against existing wiring harnesses and/or brackets. Since the radio works out of the dash it has to do with the installation. I'd also check any wiring installed to insure it isn't chaffed from rubbing against something.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Yea thanks. Don't think so, but it couldn't hurt to check it off the list.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

It's gotta be something in the radio area. Does the radio work fine and the car start OK when the radio is in your lap? If so, the problem is in those wires.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM

It only comes on in the car during re-connecting the battery, it comes on for a second or two.

Doesn't work in lap

Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 AM

ok, so when I pull out the radio fuse and put it back in, it comes on, then cuts off

Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Sounds to me like the radio has a serious issue and it dead shorts out and a voltage/power breaker kicks in to keep it from heating up and catching fire!

I'd take the radio back to where you got it and exchange it for a different one....

But you may end up having to buy a new one...if by chance you crossed up some wires to cause it to short out....
They will know once they bench test it!
Something to think about!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to the gmos-04 harness. Unplug and replug the stock wire side and it powers up for a second, but if I do the other side there's nothing.