Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

auto start???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Default auto start???

i have an 02 SS, and i wanna add an auto start. i've been hearing different opinons about what i have to get. some say i have to get a bypass module and others say i don't. anybody got autostart? lemme know what you had to buy...

Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Default RE: auto start???

yea i have auto start but it was factory installed on the 06 lt's and up, its smart because it knows when its hot or cold and adjust accordingly when its cold it turns on the defrost on the windows and when its hot outside it turns on the ac and turns the fan on high, no need to preset the climate controls awesome awesome what gm did

Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 AM

I got one with my Alarm system and I know you can get tons of aftermarket ones ranging from 50 to 150 bucks. All work fine.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 AM

I have a AutoPage on my Monte (It came with the car). I dont really like the brand at all, it's cheap and dosent protect the hood and the trunk, but I'm not too concerned about it because I dont have any thing of importance in the car. If you want one, I would recommend getting a brand by directed. They make the brands Viper, Python, Hornet, which are all really good brands. They have amazing range, and I hear that they are comming out with a new one that wil range over a mile away. You can have remote start and everything, and can even have a relay to put the windows up and down. They aren't that bad in price, around $500 installed. I would not recommend a place like bestbuy to install, because they have very sketchy install work. Find a professional shop that specializes in alarms.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM

hey, i just recently got an alarm/command start installed in my 03 SS, it was a model that was manufactured from directed. i really recommend their product. i would suggest getting a two way receiver rather than just the 1 way. i have the one way and i wish i would of shelled out the extra hundred bucks. The only problem i have with my command start is that my range is not very far, compared to my brothers 01 special edition grand prix GTP, he can start his from close to 1/2 a km away.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Gr4v3_7

I have a AutoPage on my Monte (It came with the car). I dont really like the brand at all, it's cheap and dosent protect the hood and the trunk, but I'm not too concerned about it because I dont have any thing of importance in the car. If you want one, I would recommend getting a brand by directed. They make the brands Viper, Python, Hornet, which are all really good brands. They have amazing range, and I hear that they are comming out with a new one that wil range over a mile away. You can have remote start and everything, and can even have a relay to put the windows up and down. They aren't that bad in price, around $500 installed. I would not recommend a place like bestbuy to install, because they have very sketchy install work. Find a professional shop that specializes in alarms.

This is no joke. I've done more than my share of radio and remote start installs and the Monte Carlo is by far the hardest. This also revolves around the fact that the previous cars had less options or were older ( 96 and 01 Saturn, 78 Camaro, 84 and 85 Fiero among others for friends).

The Directed ones are complicated to install (61 pages of necessary info), but even if all you've installed is an after market head unit, speakers, amps, and cd changers get it professionally installed anyway. You need to build special relays for the Monte to control windows and the like.

This website will give you an idea of what you are getting into as it is the instructions for the $500 Viper alarm; this is for the base model and not including: battery backup, power window/sunroof, motion sensor, and other options. http://www.directechs.com/guides/man...N564V_6-03.pdf

There are over 52 wires that will be involved in the install. This doesn't include the 3 or so for the passlock 2 bypass module or the ribbon cables. You will need to find where each wire will connect to under the dash as well. Also it takes a professional 4-6 hours to complete this install. If you've never done it than multiply that number by 4.

Anyway, here is the website so you can at least find the wires easily: https://www.directwholesale.net/diag...ms.asp?link=DW
And if you don't want to drop money on their wire harness, this link has the locations of the wires (you will need to scroll down): https://www.directwholesale.net/diag...ms.asp?link=DW

For $500 including the install it is actually a really good deal for the base package with alarm, remote locks, remote start and trunk opening.