Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Alternator Question

Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Default Alternator Question

Not sure if this thread should go here but it has to do with my system and alternator. Does anyone know what the idle amprage of my alternator is? Its a stock alternator, not high output, and i have an 03 monte with the 3.8

Im looking at some high output alternators, and trying to compare those to the one ive got on there right now. Also does anyone know any affordable high output options? Not really wanting to spend $400 on one. Not sure if theres any way around it. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sisson16
Not sure if this thread should go here but it has to do with my system and alternator. Does anyone know what the idle amprage of my alternator is? Its a stock alternator, not high output, and i have an 03 monte with the 3.8

Im looking at some high output alternators, and trying to compare those to the one ive got on there right now. Also does anyone know any affordable high output options? Not really wanting to spend $400 on one. Not sure if theres any way around it. Thanks.
Idle amperage on a stock alt is somewhere around 30-40a....How big is your system? Any idea how big of an alt you want (as in how much amperage)? I highly suggest Singer Alternators. I have a 225a alt from him that's is rock solid and is more affordable than most others out there and comes with a lifetime warranty and customer service that sets the bar for all retailers out there. I think I paid $350 shipped

Old 06-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Yea i emailed singer and he sent back that the only model he has for my car is 230A with 130-140A at 800rpm for $389 with lifetime warranty on labor.
My system has just 1 amp. Its a kicker zx1500.1 thats factory tested at 1586 RMS and a little over 3000 peak.
I had a kinetik battery in the back that i got for cheap off a guy a few years ago, so i just threw it in there , but the cell went dead and now my alternators pullin hard and voltage is constantly dropping. In my zx manual it says a 140A alternator is highly recommended. I dont see why i need a power cell and a bigger alternator though. Is that comparable to yours or what? Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Yea i emailed singer and he sent back that the only model he has for my car is 230A with 130-140A at 800rpm for $389 with lifetime warranty on labor.
My system has just 1 amp. Its a kicker zx1500.1 thats factory tested at 1586 RMS and a little over 3000 peak.
I had a kinetik battery in the back that i got for cheap off a guy a few years ago, so i just threw it in there , but the cell went dead and now my alternators pullin hard and voltage is constantly dropping. In my zx manual it says a 140A alternator is highly recommended. I dont see why i need a power cell and a bigger alternator though. Is that comparable to yours or what? Any suggestions?
How long are you planning on keeping this car? I understand your hesitance to spend that kind of money but other options are either way more expensive (Mechman and DC Power, starting at around $450 up to $600 or so) or the product is not as dependable (Excessive Amperage, Power Bastards, etc.) Singer offers a lifetime warranty on his alts, Mechman and DC is 2yrs, EA and PB are 1yr. Mechman has good customer service, DC's customer service is horrendous, never dealt with EA or PB. Gotta pay to play!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Im planning on keeping it. Done a lot to it. Need to get some pics up. So with what im running a power cell and alternator are required in your opinion?

Whats your setup if you dont mind?

Im gonna go with the singer maybe in a few weeks or a month or so. Planning on orderig a new cell today.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Im planning on keeping it. Done a lot to it. Need to get some pics up. So with what im running a power cell and alternator are required in your opinion?

Whats your setup if you dont mind?

Im gonna go with the singer maybe in a few weeks or a month or so. Planning on orderig a new cell today.
Yeah, I used to run a 1500 watt amp and it would dim pretty good on bass drops. Now that I upped to 3k watts I had to get a Singer! When it comes to audio setups, I always try to plan for future upgrades by using larger wire than needed, more amperage on hand than needed, cause you never know when the upgrade bug will bite.

I'm running a Crescendo BC2000D and a Crescendo 1100.4
A pair of Incriminator Audio Death Row 12's
4 Crescendo PWX 6.5's and 2 Crescendo FT-1's

Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 AM

Welcome to Singer Alternators | Singer Alternators
Thats the right site and email right?
I emailed him back yesterday and asked how long it takes to get it and how to pay and after being told he only offers one model for my car he says he has another higher model that he could also sell me. Just seemed wierd.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 PM

Welcome to Singer Alternators | Singer Alternators
Thats the right site and email right?
I emailed him back yesterday and asked how long it takes to get it and how to pay and after being told he only offers one model for my car he says he has another higher model that he could also sell me. Just seemed wierd.
That's it....I can call him tomorrow if you want

Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Thats alright im gettin him to strt the build. Said itll take 3-4 weeks. Thanks though.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM

Thats alright im gettin him to strt the build. Said itll take 3-4 weeks. Thanks though.
I'm not sure if it's common practice or one that slid through the cracks but I did not get notice of my alt shipping, it just showed up one day. But it was within the timeline he gave me, which is the same as you got, 3-4 weeks.