Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Aftermarket Stereo Amp Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Default Aftermarket Stereo Amp Wiring

Hello again fellow MCF members. I have yet another question that i cannot seem to find much info on... Anyways, this weekend i plan on installing an amplifier, (I do not know what kind yet, {maybe my 1200W Power Acoustic but it may not work after sitting in the trunk of my 1991 Mustang in a field for 2 years}) and my 10" Diamond Audio Subwoofer to my stock stereo in my 2006 Monte.
What i am wondering is, has anyone here with a 7th Gen Monte ever wired an amplifier and sub to their trunk? And if you have, where exactly did you run the wires to reach the trunk? (if you went through the firewall where was the spot you ran it through it at? and once inside the car, How did you run the wires into the trunk?) Or. (If for some reason you cant go through the firewall and you have to run the power under the car Where and What is the best route to run the cable and how would you get into the trunk from under the car?)
The only other question i have is, Where is a good place to hook up the remote wire to in the trunk? like i said i am installing this to my factory stereo and do not have a head unit to run the remote to.

I know the second option isnt used nearly as much as the first i asked about but i have a family member that only runs his power wires under his vehicle instead of inside. And he said he runs the cable through a piece of old garden hose (or something similar) to protect the cable from damage.

Any Input before This Friday 12-5-14 would be greatly appreciated!!!
If someone replys with the info i need i will also try my best to take photos as i run my wires and post the steps involved in doing so, that way there is a step by step guide, with pictures on the forum on running power wires for an amp in the 7th gen Monte Carlo on the forum. (Might even do pics for entire installation, not just the amp wire)

Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 PM

Hi Roy,
I ran my power wire to the trunk when the car was new, over 8 years ago.
I ran the 0 gage wire through the same rubber connector block that GM uses for the chassis wiring, that way its protected from metal.
Lift the carpet, and the padding on the passenger side floor, up near the dash, and you'll see the chassis wiring connector block. There is one corner not used, big enough for a 1/2 hole for a 0 gage wire. Yes I used a power drill, fraction away from lots of wires, didn't hurt a thing. Then I used a bit of lube and pulled it through.
I have a 100 amp fuse at the battery, and in the trunk I have a 4 way fuse block for the separate amps. I ran the cable down the passenger side, removed rear seat to feed it into trunk.
Don't forget to upsize or add to the battery to ground wire.
And you can also upsize or add to the Alt to Battery wire. it was difficult on mine, as Alt is connected to starter, starter connected to battery.
My car is an SS, so it came with premium sound system, the amp was in the trunk, and it already had a remote wire on it. Plus the head unit was wired to the amp.
The remote wire is supposed to come from your head unit, and the head unit gets it from the module for RAP if you're doing a full install.
OR, all you need to find is any circuit on RAP (retained accessory power) and add a relay to drive your amp remote.
I ran the audio cables down the middle since power and speakers are on both sides, I didn't want them interfering.
Yes, it was lots of work, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
Name:  gtcars-cca-show-june17132.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  109.2 KB

Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 PM

Thank you, that answered my initial question but now i just have a couple follow up questions.

Ill probably end up using only 8 or 6 gauge power wire, so would I need to drill a hole in my firewall? (Drilling a hole isn't really an issue, i just want to know if its necessary or not) And if i do need to drill one where exactly would be the best place to do it? (A VERY detailed description and / or picture would be perfect!)

What I am understanding from your reply is that i need to find the connector block inside the car. Then I need to drill a hole in the connector block? or next to it? If i understood wrong then where do I need to drill the hole?

Also like i said, i plan on just upgrading the stock head unit so i will have to run the REM to an accessory power source in the trunk. So would you, or anyone know of an accessory power source in or around the trunk that is only powered when the ignition is on?

And you also said that you had to remove the rear seat to run the power cable to the trunk... What did you have to do to remove it and how difficult is it? and what tools are needed to do so?

Again, any info by this Friday (12-5-14) would be GREATLYAppreciated!