Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

78 m.c dash

Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Default 78 m.c dash

whats upchevy ridas. i have a 78 m.c. i bought some aftermarket gauges by cyberdyne. the gauges are2 1/6" i havent bought the speedometer and the tachometer yet. my ? is can i use a chevelle or malibu or camaro dash board for my m.c. or even better a 96-2007 monte carlo dash cluster that will fit my gauges and possibly fit in the dashboard. i know i will have to get the cluster a custom fit i just don't want to spend over $1000 in my dash that i see i every monte carlo like78-88. they all look the same. i want mine to be different. any suggestions will help.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Default RE: 78 m.c dash

well truth be told you can use about any dash you want if you have the time and want to do it.
any more they make fiberglass versions of some of the retro car/truck dashes also. but mos tof the time you see them in teh mini trucking side of teh world. im i knwo for fact that the camino dashes with fit but they are pretty much the same .
if all you want is a diffrent guage pod then. just change it. they were very simular for years. the only thing that is diffrent is the face of the guages and also the plstic that holds them changed a bit to make then fit for smaller or larger versions. and the SS or LS versions were the sme just a diffrent inner peice put in to them or in other words the pods were all that changed.

Another option you might not have thought of is to build one of your own. you can glass them rather easily. basically make a mold, cover it with the cloth and stapel it all nice and taught. then cut out the holes you want cut. then start putting resin in place and then alternate with resen and cloth layers for at least 4 -6 layears. it will be strong enough to jump up and down on if you do it right. then you would truley have a custom dash and a one of a kind at that.
for more information on how to do this start looking up how to make stereo door/kick pods. it will show you how to make those and this is the same just bigger.
Good luck and please post a before and after shot and keep us posted.

F.Y.I.
have to say the 78 monte you have now if the dash is complete and in good shape HANG ON TO IT!!! when they stole my stereo i had to have mine rebuilt from a place in Cal. called Just dashes. the work was perfect. the price was rediculous. becuse it was 1500.00 to have it repaird. So if you hav eone in good shape and come plete it is worth your time to sell it on Ebay etc...