Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

2002 Monte Carlo SS high beam out

Old 03-01-2014, 04:10 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Unhappy 2002 Monte Carlo SS high beam out

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, that for some time the high beam switch has been acting up on me. Started out not staying on "hi" when pulled back on lever. Then made a "cracking" sound when tried to put on High beam lights. Now won't stay on High beam at all. Is this a fix a "kind of handy" guy can fix? Or will this be a "stealership" over charged fix i'm looking at?
Anybody experience the same issue???

Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Huckster
I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, that for some time the high beam switch has been acting up on me. Started out not staying on "hi" when pulled back on lever. Then made a "cracking" sound when tried to put on High beam lights. Now won't stay on High beam at all. Is this a fix a "kind of handy" guy can fix? Or will this be a "stealership" over charged fix i'm looking at?
Anybody experience the same issue???
My hi-beams have never stayed on, all I can do is flash them... I did install the HID's on the low beams and now have no use for the hi's... It's an option and will be much cheaper than the dealership, I paid $125 for mine in Canada... Should be cheaper for you...

Old 03-01-2014, 04:25 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
My hi-beams have never stayed on, all I can do is flash them... I did install the HID's on the low beams and now have no use for the hi's... It's an option and will be much cheaper than the dealership, I paid $125 for mine in Canada... Should be cheaper for you...
Not sure what you mean by HID's, I guess I don't need them as long as all the other functions on lever works. Directionals and cancel off properly. Just kind of bugs me.
So far since I had car most issues come from the plastic "cheapo" dash controls. Wish better design / construction was used when car was manufactured....

Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Huckster
Not sure what you mean by HID's, I guess I don't need them as long as all the other functions on lever works. Directionals and cancel off properly. Just kind of bugs me.
So far since I had car most issues come from the plastic "cheapo" dash controls. Wish better design / construction was used when car was manufactured....
Here is an explanation...
High-intensity discharge lamps (HID lamps) are a type of electrical gas-discharge lamp which produces light by means of an electric arc between tungsten electrodes housed inside a translucent or transparent fused quartz or fused alumina arc tube. This tube is filled with both gas and metal salts. The gas facilitates the arc's initial strike. Once the arc is started, it heats and evaporates the metal salts forming plasma, which greatly increases the intensity of light produced by the arc and reduces its power consumption. High-intensity discharge lamps are a type of arc lamp.

High-intensity discharge lamps make more visible light per unit of electric power consumed than fluorescent and incandescent lamps since a greater proportion of their radiation is visible light in contrast to infrared.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Red face

Here is an explanation...
High-intensity discharge lamps (HID lamps) are a type of electrical gas-discharge lamp which produces light by means of an electric arc between tungsten electrodes housed inside a translucent or transparent fused quartz or fused alumina arc tube. This tube is filled with both gas and metal salts. The gas facilitates the arc's initial strike. Once the arc is started, it heats and evaporates the metal salts forming plasma, which greatly increases the intensity of light produced by the arc and reduces its power consumption. High-intensity discharge lamps are a type of arc lamp.

High-intensity discharge lamps make more visible light per unit of electric power consumed than fluorescent and incandescent lamps since a greater proportion of their radiation is visible light in contrast to infrared.
I see, sounds high tech.
I just looked up the install of the high beam, wiper, signal lever. "You tube" video shows a 2004 Impala install. Not all that hard to do. Part is $84 up to $280.00
Looks like a Spring project for me.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Huckster...

Heres a thought...
I was wondering.... Maybe its a push for high beams? Instead of a pull?
on my 03 and 04's its a push for high beams and a pull for flash...

I could be wrong..but something to consider...

Changing out that module is no biggie..just time consuming somewhat
Besure to et us know how it went...

Some pics/video would also probably help our members for future use..
Thanks!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Huckster...

Heres a thought...
I was wondering.... Maybe its a push for high beams? Instead of a pull?
on my 03 and 04's its a push for high beams and a pull for flash...

It is a pull for our cars. And you need a new lever, it is fairly cheap and not too expensive, well the last one I had to do was on my cavalier, but the wifes monte needs a new one too, just haven't got around to doing it yet, she doesn't drive after dark very often so no real rush lol

Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Yup, it's definately a pull... Interesting, it seems the module fails on quite a few of our cars..... Maybe a design flaw, never had one go on any of my vehicles prior, although I did break one years ago by accident... Good luck with the repair...

Old 03-02-2014, 05:59 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yup, it's definately a pull... Interesting, it seems the module fails on quite a few of our cars..... Maybe a design flaw, never had one go on any of my vehicles prior, although I did break one years ago by accident... Good luck with the repair...
Thanks, when we start getting warmer weather I'll dig into it. After watching the YOU TUBE video on replacing one on a 2004 Impala, (same part) not too difficult to fix. Not a big deal that I need hi beams but just bugs me how cheap these parts are made. AC Delco's are priced in the $280 + price range. Aftermarket on EBay sell for $40 bucks. Just got to make sure I get the one WITHOUT cruse control. Not sure I would go with AC Delco if so many people have same issues as I.