Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

1st car and no audio knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Alright. Last question: Could I run 6.5" Alpine replacing the door speakers without anything else. No sub or extra amp, just taking out the door speakers and switching them. And how do you reseal speakers? I'm under the impression that they are sealed into the mounting brackets. Thanks for all your help, by the way.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Classixs
Alright. Last question: Could I run 6.5" Alpine replacing the door speakers without anything else. No sub or extra amp, just taking out the door speakers and switching them. And how do you reseal speakers? I'm under the impression that they are sealed into the mounting brackets. Thanks for all your help, by the way.
yes you could do that. i did that. the very first thing i bought was a set of type S 6.5s. i didnt even have a factory amp either lol. you dont have to do that. you could if your that worried about it. with like a gasket maker or something. or caulk. but if you just screw it on tight you will be okay. not a problem! im always here to help with car audio needs!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Okay. I'm a liar. I guess some speakers have different connection types? Component etc. How do I know what I have, so I know what to get? I'd rather not rip apart the door until I have the speakers to install.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Okay. I'm a liar. I guess some speakers have different connection types? Component etc. How do I know what I have, so I know what to get? I'd rather not rip apart the door until I have the speakers to install.
your going to have to cut the plug on the stock wires and crimp your own ends on them. factory speakers have a weird plug on them. your speakers are a 6.5 with a 1in tweeter in each door. what i did is i have Coaxial speakers(6.5" speaker with the tweeter mounted on the speaker) and i cut the stock tweeters wires so it wouldnt get any power anymore. you can run a component system. components cost more money cause they have cross overs and tweeters you can place anywhere you want. they sound better but cost more money! you cant get a component system for a 6x9 so you will have to run a coaxial back there but up front its completely up to you!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Can you run down from opening up the panel to take out the factory speakers? Do the ends come with the speakers? I kinda know what tweeters are. Do those come with speakers or is that separate? How do you mount the tweeter on the speaker? I'm trying to learn this now instead of the hard way later on.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Can you run down from opening up the panel to take out the factory speakers? Do the ends come with the speakers? I kinda know what tweeters are. Do those come with speakers or is that separate? How do you mount the tweeter on the speaker? I'm trying to learn this now instead of the hard way later on.
yes sir! there are 2 hex screws behind the door handles i think they are T-15s but not sure. their are a few screws that you take out with a philips. kinda havin a brain fart here lol. but i know theres atleast one or 2. then you have to pop the clips on the bottoms just becareful and pop one in the bottom corner that is the the back of the door(rear of the door. facing out.) then work your way across the bottom and you have to push up just a little once you un do them all. now be very careful with this next step i have broken my window switch doing this. its easier if you have another person help you! you have to un hook all the electrical buttons from the doors. then the door panal is free and the speaker is right there! just unscrew it. i think they are Hex screws as well. usually not you will have to buy the ends but they are very cheap. if you get coaxials they are mounted on the speakers already you just hook them up and go!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 PM

Alright. I think that about does it. Research complete. Last question. After I installed those 6.5's in the front, could I replace the 6X9s in the back still only using the stock amp? That's it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM

Alright. I think that about does it. Research complete. Last question. After I installed those 6.5's in the front, could I replace the 6X9s in the back still only using the stock amp? That's it.
yupp theres no issue in doing that. or running just aftermarket 6.5s. and stock 6x9s. an amp will put power to whatever is hooked up regardless. you can do that for a while and once you want something louder all you need is a 4 channel amp and you will notice a huge difference!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Alright. Taught me so much, thanks. When it comes time for the sub, you're my man. Thanks for everything.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Alright. Taught me so much, thanks. When it comes time for the sub, you're my man. Thanks for everything.
no a problem brother! glad i could help! . send me a PM with any questions. id love to help!