Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

06 Monte Carlo Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Default 06 Monte Carlo Audio Question

I'm recently getting into the swing of adding (and subtracting) a few things to my car, unfortunately I don't know how to install anything myself, so everything I'm purchasing is at full price... I reside in Michigan and I'm looking to add some new speakers and a app to my car, 6x9 in the rear and 6.5 in the front, with a decent amp. A local shop, Car Tunes quoted me a price and it came up to $820. This included 2 6x9 speakers (ARC) and to front 6.5 speakers (ARC) and a amp (JL 340.2) is this a fair price, are there better items to be held at equal or less value?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd pass for now and wait for one of the experts here to answer your question! There seem to be a few members who have tons of great info!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Im thinking of getting a JL JX500/1 for the same person as car tunes is offering the 320.4, I really want the 1000/1 v2 but cant afford it, as for subs... I dont think I like the idea of that box sitting in my trunk, how are the car subs? any recommendations? Do you guys thin its better buying the stuff from places such as eBay or craigslist and then taking it to get installed?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Your best bet is to search around and find exactly what you want then take it to get installed, unless the install place will give you a special deal but then you are often stuck buying a specific brand from them.

Just to clear up. You cant run the 500/1 or 1000/1 to run you 4 speakers ie your 6x9 or 6.5 you would need something like the JL slash 300/4 or 450/2 etc..

I think adding a sub or 2 will help with the overall sound quality in the car if thats what you are looking for, you dont have to be into the BOOOM BOOOM to have subs. Something small would probably suffice you fine.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

what part of the install do you think your not capable of doing?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
what part of the install do you think your not capable of doing?
Never installed anything before, just not very hands on. Is there a reason I cant get a 500/1, if I got a sub wouldn't the 500/1 underpower it, causing me to need a 1000/1. Is there anything you guys can recommend in terms of amp, speakers and a sub... I know JL is considered the name brand and I could get something comparable for a lot cheaper but I like what I read about them. I hear a lot of people go with the JL Amp and Kicker subs, maybe 10's??? I jus hate those big boxes in trunk, there theft prone, I have no garage and I live in Detroit. I jus want something thats going to kick sound, and have nice base. Looking to spend around $1200 or so and that includes installation. Like I said they (CarTunes) were charging me $149 for the 320.4 JL Amp, which is a discontinued model, $209 for the pair of 6.5, and $169 for the 6x9. These are all probably average devices, and I know I can get something via eBay or craigslist for the same price but with far more power, just need help with what to pick. I don't want to be one of those guys who spends 1k then looks to upgrade in 3 months.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 AM

1200. thats plenty even with installer fees, if you lived closer i'd do it for ya for a couple bucks and a case of beer ;P

anyhoo, few things, speakers...are naturaly easy to install.

what you want first, are 2 ways, with external cross overs, you want new speaker wires ran, this should run you around 80$ for install fees roughly, 60$ in a good deal. for the speakers alone, i'd say around 60-80$ for the deck install, but i recommend you try that your self, you just wire up the after market harness, which we can help you find all the gear you need if you wish to attempt the install your self, its all quite easy, you match the wires to corasponding collors and crimp or solder them.

anyhoo, i'm not familuar with amp install prices ive never paid anyone to install an amp, but a shops going to charge you around 40-60$ an hour usialy for anything thats not a speaker or a deck, they usialy have those prices set in stone, its about a 2 hour job depending on the car, so expect that, if that is what you see on top of all the value of the parts than your fine.

but like stated, i highly recommend you get the peices your self. first, after market decks require a modual for the 00-05' models

this is the store you want to go for everything

Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers

heres the modual you need for your after market deck if you have a 2000-2005 monte.
Scosche GM09SR (New Revised Version of DCGM09B) Select 1999-2005

than you need an antena adapter

Scosche MDA1B Antenna Adapter for 1988-up for Chevrolet / GM

and a mounting kit, but they run from 10-25$ so no real need to spend money shipping that, you can get em on the cheap, but might not be worth it, you can select one when you select a deck if you so choose.

the speaker sizes in the doors are 6 1\2"S with 1" tweeters, the baffle can be modded to accept pretty much any style of tweeter.

here are 6 1\2" component set speakers
6.5 Inch Component Car Speakers | 6-1/2 Component Systems

the rears as you know are 6x9' anything can go back their, not a big deal i might not even bother replacing them, and the amp and sub you may do what ever you like.

some brands i recommend

JBL, alpine, memphis, JL, pioneer, polk, Rocker fosgate,

these are your stapples, anything from them will be good stuff, pioneers stuff is a bit meh but their decks are nice JBL has the best speakers IMO, alpine makes great amps, mephis makes great amps, JL makes great everything, and as does rocket fosgate, polk is a bit of a speaker brand i'd say.

some others,

RE audio, focal, DLS, hybrid, orion, MB quart,

i recommend you stay away from Kenwood, i hate their stuff. ive never had good experience with any of their gear.

JL is great stuff, but pricy. you might wanna look around, see what else you like.

where would you like to mount the amps and stuff? the back seat is where most do, but if you wanna go with micro amps, focal, JL, alpine make some compact amps, the Alpine PDX amps are my faverate, thats what i run in my car.