Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

wizaired vs. gutting your stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Default wizaired vs. gutting your stock airbox

i was wondering, performance wise, why not just gut your stock airbox? after all, all you need is a non restrictive box with a hole to feed the engine and a inlet that isnt sucking hot air. so what makes boxes like the wizaired better?

if its the cone filter i figured i could just put on silicone reducer at my MAF, to go to a pipe that a k&n could clamp onto. after cutting out the stock airbox lid outlet to allow a slightly larger pipe through.

but how much more surface area does a cone filter have of the panel?

is it the smooth air intake tube? over the corigated stock one that goes from the MAF to the throttle body?

or is it just the combination of a larger volume air box, cone filter and smooth intake tube working together, and thats what would make a wizaired the better easier choice?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Default RE: wizaired vs. gutting your stock airbox

To be honest, If you have the money and dont mind spending it I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a CAI..Make sure you get a good one though. I would suggest the K&N kit.. These arent cheap...

I understand your delema, I personally Gutted my factory airbox and couldnt be happier...If i could go back i would do it again...I have done this on several cars all having good reactions to it...Send me a message if you want detailed intructions on how to do this...

Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 AM

i dont see the k&n as a viable option as i have a 3.4, i think best case scenario i could cut a section off the air intake tube so that the MAF was kinda in the middle of it, but if the sizes didnt work out it would be useless. although i like the apearance of the k&n better they seem like they would draw warmer air than the wiz.

are u running a k&n panel filter in yours?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i'm running the k&n cai in my car, and i think the performance gain was amazing, not to mention the sound difference you got...sounds way better now...definetely worth the money whether you go k&n or wizair

Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM

zz performance has the cai from wizaired for the 3.4 v6...i got it for my car and it was money well spent..buy it!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Can you put a 9" K&N filter on the wizaired? I purchased just the cai set up not filter. Just wondering if i can fit the 9" cone in thier or i have to get 4".

Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 AM

and i bought the whole kn cai before i seen the wizaired and it seems like the kn isnt completely sealed off as well as the wizaired box is. it works great but im curious if the wizaired intake temps are lower than kn.or id i could mod the wizaired box around my filter. but my filter is flat out HUGE

Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 AM

has anyone just clamped a cone into the stock box and locked it all back up? it looks possible but wat sorta difference am i looking at?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's not a good idea. The point of a circular cone is to grab air from all around, if you put one in the stock air box (which isn't really easy to do) you still JUST have the small opening from behind the headlight where light comes through, doesn't add anything.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM

yes i realize this now. and the cpu being tucked in the box (big surprise to me) makes the box a lot less useful than it seemed. i wana get the air draw from the driver side fender. there is a nice size hole there and i happen to have six foot of 4 in duct. the cpu surprise set me back for the day .