Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Gutting Airbox??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Default Gutting Airbox??

I want a little more power out of my 3400. I have been looking at CAI but they are just too much money and they don't really make one for the 3400. I really would like to gut my airbox but I need to ask a question first.

Where I live we get a fair amount of snow. I was just wondering if anyone else that has gutted their airbox lives in a snowy area. I want to make sure no water gets in my airbox. Also if I read right are you opening up 2 areas of the airbox? The area right behind the right headlight, and the area between the 2 sections inside the box?

I was thinking of trying to find an airbox from the junkyard and gutting it, then put it in my monte and see if I like it and everything first.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Default RE: Gutting Airbox??

give it a try... but your still breathing thru a small air filter. your best bet would be to build your own cold air intake/FWI go under my profile and you'll find my website or do a quick search for FWI you can use sheet metal to make a heat shield to protecte the filter if you do a FWI that way water and snow wont hit the filter, but still get cold air to the filter. your best bet is yes to go to a junk yard and start playing with stuff. grab diff parts adn try tearing things apart you will learn a lot and end up with a good system this way. good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 PM

If I had it to do over again I would have found another airbox and spent a little more time on it. You won't have to worry about water/snow making it's way to the TB. I drilled drainage holes through the bottom of the airbox when I did mine. I posted a how to somewhere on the forum...

Old 10-21-2006, 01:09 PM

i live in Germany and have mine in teh front fender under the head light i have had no snow or water get in to my cone filter or even close to the T/B/

belive me we see alot of rain and snow and this is not the typical light showers when it rains it pours here .

Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 PM

Well I just returned from the garage and after taking my airbox apart. I was getting ready to gut it out but before I did I decided to have a smoke and think about it for a few minutes. After looking at the layout of the box, I feel that they mounted the pcm unit inside to keep it out of the weather as it does'nt have all weather connectors on it. Even though I have read some of the posts regarding rain and snow getting in, I still wonder what the long term effects may be if this unit becomes wet. I can see evidence of water in the airbox and as it is now this unit is completely enlosed inside of the box. If I start cutting to open up for more air the unit is going to become exposed and this concerns me. I will also be looking at this factor closely when I get around to buying a new intake set up as I want to be sure that the way the unit will be remounted will also protect it from being damaged. I put everything back together as I did'nt feel comfortable cutting the box all up and having a problem later on. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 10-22-2006, 01:49 PM

I've had mine done for almost two years so far and have had no problems with water. Alot of people buy a PCM tray to re-locate the PCM when installing a FWI/CAI system that is way more exposed to weather than what your going to do...

Old 10-22-2006, 02:47 PM

Two years is good enough for me...guess I'll get cutting then, thanks.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 PM

give me an update after u do it

how is the power and sound different?

Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 AM

Well I know that it won't be bad as I'm still smiling like hell every time I get on it just from the u bend delete.....need to start saving for some new rubber as these puppies are'nt going to live long now! I'll let you know after I do it. It's just a temp thing till I can afford the cold air box after spending the money that I had to on the cat replacement and u bend delete.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 PM

i hate when people say "well i havent gotten water in the engine yet!" the First FWI i made was about 8" off the ground and cause of a rather large puddle, (not deep maybe 6"?) enough water splashed into the fender to get sucked into the vac lines, TPS sensor, and stall the engine. the engine didnt hydrolock, but 2 weeks later i tracked the problem down to the TPS and when i removed it the entire thing drained of water! so yes water issues are possible with a FWI.

my current FWI is at the same height as the battery now. so its almost 2 feet off the ground, yet still getting nice clean fresh air. and is protected from spashing water. i wouls suggest takeing steps to protect the car from things like this. remember just cause it hasnt happend doesnt mean it wont!

Quick Reply: Gutting Airbox??