Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Wizaired Cold Air Intake - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking

Wow, thanks for all of the replies guys!

The problem I'm having is that I've been searching all over the Internet, and I keep finding conflicting views about aftermarket air intake systems. One person will say that he had a little performance/MPG improvement from an aftermarket air intake system, another will say that it stayed the same, and another will say that it was worse.

GM already puts cold air intake systems (and millions of dollars into research) on 3800's, so I don't understand how any of these systems would have any gains to them. Besides, doesn't colder air just make the engine pull in more fuel? I thought that that was what the mass air flow sensor was for. So we can rule out any MPG benefits of a cold air intake system; there's only a potential torque/horse power increase.

The only thing I can think of is that the stock air intake tubing is longer than needed in order to keep the engine quieter. But even if it were shorter, would that really make it more effective?

The stock air intake takes air that is somewhat near the grill, which is lower in the engine compartment and thus slightly colder, theoretically, since heat rises. Also, when the car is moving, the air under the car is moving faster, which would mean that this air has less air pressure. The air in the top of the engine compartment stays relatively still, so, if anything, the lower-pressure air underneath the car would suck the air down from the top of the engine compartment. Perhaps GM found the best place in the engine compartment that would make the best use of this syphon, and this spot is where GM placed the opening of the air intake tube. It seems to me that, by drawing air right where the air filter is (at the top of the engine compartment), the intake would be fighting against a stronger vacuum and taking in hotter air than with the stock setup.

Hopefully that made sense. I was trying to make it as clear as possible. Does anyone have anything to say against this? I'd also like to point out that my performance mufflers were supposed to increase power and gas mileage, but the loss in back pressure lowered my gas mileage (when going 70 mph on the freeway, so it wasn't that I was accelerating faster).

Last edited by GreenRaccoon; 04-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

The PCM will make the adjustment for the air to fuel ratio although it won't be a huge difference.

Now, GM has to put a lot of things into consideration when they go to make their intakes and stuff, sure they want to get the most mpg out of them along with power and keeping the car quiet for the average consumer. We can't rule out any MPG benefits, with a real cold air intake the engine isn't having to work as hard to pull in the same amount or more air, which results in high MPG when you aren't beating on the throttle, and when you are on the throttle you get a slightly better throttle response along with torque and horsepower

A shorter tubing would be making the intake less restrictive but again, the box itself is more restrictive which keeps the engine a little quiet compared to an open cone.

And the stock intake pulls air from behind the drivers side headlight, which I guess some air could be coming from the grille area

With mufflers, what kind did you get? With most mufflers there probably won't be a change with mufflers unless you have a high horsepower application, which isn't the case with many montes.

Last edited by red04montels; 04-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by trewyn15
The PCM will make the adjustment for the air to fuel ratio although it won't be a huge difference.

Now, GM has to put a lot of things into consideration when they go to make their intakes and stuff, sure they want to get the most mpg out of them along with power and keeping the car quiet for the average consumer. We can't rule out any MPG benefits, with a real cold air intake the engine isn't having to work as hard to pull in the same amount or more air, which results in high MPG when you aren't beating on the throttle, and when you are on the throttle you get a slightly better throttle response along with torque and horsepower

A shorter tubing would be making the intake less restrictive but again, the box itself is more restrictive which keeps the engine a little quiet compared to an open cone.

And the stock intake pulls air from behind the drivers side headlight, which I guess some air could be coming from the grille area

With mufflers, what kind did you get? With most mufflers there probably won't be a change with mufflers unless you have a high horsepower application, which isn't the case with many montes.
Thanks for the quick response!

I forgot about the box air filter vs. cone air filter (big oversight, I guess). I agree that a cone air filter would probably be much less restrictive. I wouldn't really know, but I'm guessing that it would make up for the drawbacks I listed in my last post. Nice point.

I don't understand why air intake systems (like Wizaired) use aluminum though? Isn't plastic a much better heat inhibitor/worse heat conductor?

I have VX mufflers. The gas mileage loss was only like 1 MPG though.

Last edited by GreenRaccoon; 04-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I think they use aluminum just because it's easier and cheaper to bend and mold? I could be wrong though, they insulate it though so it stays cool still.

I haven't heard of VX mufflers are they a knockoff of flowmaster or something like that?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM

When I bought my Intimdiator I bought the Wizaired...IMO its a horrible intake not much of a sound difference. I just installed the JMB fenderwell intake and I gotta say that is prolly the best intake for these cars..The blower whines so much you would think its pullied but im still on the stock pulley..Only think with the JMB is you gotta do a little cutting with a hacksaw to get that fender brace out...but other than that everything fits nice