Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Wizaired Cold Air Intake - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking Wizaired Cold Air Intake - Worth it?

Ok, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a specific/straight-forward answer. I was thinking about getting a Wizaired cold air intake system for my 2003 Monte Carlo SS, 3800/3.8L/L36 engine.

Just as a side note, it's stock except for VX mufflers (off-brand of the original style of Flowmaster mufflers). They sound way better/meaner than I thought they would, by the way; they give it a deep grumble and only "pop" once when first accelerating, since all performance mufflers "pop." I don't think I got a MPG increase from them; if anything, I lost 1 or 2 MPG. My brother's going to school to be an A and P mechanic (for jet engines) and one of his classmates said that it's like putting your finger over the end of a water hose: if you decrease the pressure too much, you lose power.

Anyway, what are all of the benefits for a Wizaired CAI system? Does it increase MPG at all, and if so, how much? I did the math, and say I'm getting 25 MPG right now, and the Wizaired system gives me another 2 MPG, then I'd have to drive a little over 22,000 miles to "pay off" the $250 I spent for the system. Also, would it increase the life of the engine? I have a little less than 85,000 miles on my engine, but I'm planning on driving it to close to 300,000 miles or more (that's why I bought a 3800 ).

My brother put a K&N cold air intake system (he got it for like $10; I was jealous) on his 1999 Grand Prix GT (same engine), and he said that he went from 19 MPG to 26 MPG. I highly doubt that's right. If that is right, he probably had something wrong with his old intake system anyway (I think that was around the time that he adjusted his throttle position sensor and replaced his mass air flow sensor).

Basically, what are the MPG gains for a Wizaired CAI system? And is it better for engine life? Or should I just get a regular K&N air filter (or another brand, I guess)?

Last edited by GreenRaccoon; 04-04-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go for it, the sound of a proper CAI like that is worth it.

Don't buy it for any gains, because there really aren't many. But an intake is one of the first mods anyone should do. Help the engine breath better and it will thank you

Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Yes the Wizaired will make your engine breath better - with my set up I'm getting very good gas mileage.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Like a lot of people have said in many threads, it's well worth it.

Here's the first thing that pops up on google, there's a lot of people saying they love the Wizaired:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/he...-review-17084/

Also, if you look into a good performance muffler, it shouldn't pop

Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 AM

Go for it, i have one and i love it, but i'm not running the 03 motor anymore...

and the pop isn't from the muffler, it's just the way the cars are tuned, mine gives quite the pop after a WOT run (flames ), even with a Corsa exhaust

Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 AM

it will thank you for breathing better you half way there for seeing a difference. but with the gas thing imo it is wanting to hear the mufflers

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM

oh the wizzard is the better of the type you will see because it sheilds the filter of the bulk of the heat from the engine and plus you will get nore air from stock setup. plus the other type is not sheilded like that. with your broithers pontiac it probably needed the new maf and tps because there was probably a problem with those and it is running better with the new ones.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
Go for it, i have one and i love it, but i'm not running the 03 motor anymore...

and the pop isn't from the muffler, it's just the way the cars are tuned, mine gives quite the pop after a WOT run (flames ), even with a Corsa exhaust
It's the exhaust, montes don't pop stock..

you shoot flames with your corsa exhaust? I'm gonna have to not believe that until I see it lol

Originally Posted by monte07
oh the wizzard is the better of the type you will see because it sheilds the filter of the bulk of the heat from the engine and plus you will get nore air from stock setup. plus the other type is not sheilded like that. with your broithers pontiac it probably needed the new maf and tps because there was probably a problem with those and it is running better with the new ones.
The MAF issue happens with the oiled K&N filter. You can just try to clean out the MAF with MAF cleaner

Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM

Wizaired

Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM

I have an 01 put a wizair in it custom exhaust By LOU's IN Worcester Ma and with the combo it has improved the mileage . Also it comes with a k&n filter plus I have not had the problems they guys seem to have .It is on a 3800 but it is the way to go and the engine does run better

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Wizaired Cold Air Intake - Worth it?