Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

whats next???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Also, if you are looking to make big power, I would look into upgrading to the L26 (Series III 3800) intake manifold. They are aluminum instead of plastic. There was a member of which forum I do not remember, with a turbo 3800 that had the plastic intake manifold explode and his engine bay caught on fire and burnt the entire car to the ground.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

o wow, yea i will be looking into upgrading the intake manifold for sure then! and as for what kind of horsepower im looking for, my goal is between 550-600. as for the heads i want to get a big lope cam and if i do that i will need upgraded heads correct?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

heads match cam always.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member

thats what i figured, so if i wanted something that sounded like the intense stage 4 turbo cam i will need the stage 4 heads. but is there any other options that i can use for a cam and head to get the same sound and still get me to my 550-600hp mark?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM

First off, you need to have a built tranny ready to go when you do this; IMO you're on borrowed time with your trans as is- adding more power is going to bring the end much closer. Also, some sort of slicks and rims would also be a good investment because you're simply not going to be able to hook on street tires.

Secondly, forget the Intense stuff and go with zzp/stattama- Intense has a pretty bad rep in the 3800 community- plus ZZP has the aluminum heads if you want to get really crazy.

Third- what kind of turbo kit do you have? Maybe you could upgrade to front and rear powerlogs to help with flow?

Lastly, no turbo cam is going to have a crazy nasty lope like the big NA cams have- if you have that kind of overlap on a boosted setup, you're going to blow a lot of your charge right out the exhaust port and really tank efficiency. Sure there are some pretty high lift turbo cams, but you'll notice that none really have the nasty NA cam lope to them.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member

the turbo kit i have is the cartuning kit. so forget about intense and onto zzp parts, what stage cam do you suggest and with what heads? i know i need to upgrade the tranny b4 i go further with the motor but im just trying to figure out the best build so when the time comes it can all be ordered and im not sitting here when i want to order trying to get answers. i am talking to dave from tripple edge performance about building a tranny as we speak, getting figures and what not. once i do the heads and cam what about the connecting rods and pistons? will they be fine or will i need to upgrade them also? what about porting the lower intake manifold? throttle body? etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member

Also, if you are looking to make big power, I would look into upgrading to the L26 (Series III 3800) intake manifold. They are aluminum instead of plastic. There was a member of which forum I do not remember, with a turbo 3800 that had the plastic intake manifold explode and his engine bay caught on fire and burnt the entire car to the ground.

were can i buy the l26 upper intake plenum and what kinds of modifications have to be done for it to work?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...ts1.php?id=989

You really need to just talk with Turbo Tim at ZZP

Old 02-04-2010, 05:46 PM

what stage cam do you suggest and with what heads?
I suggest you go on www.zzperformance.com and call them or email them your setup and goals and see what their reccomendation is. I would imagine if you're going all out that you're going to be looking at their S4 turbo cam and some ported aluminum heads, but they're really the experts on that.

what about the connecting rods and pistons? will they be fine or will i need to upgrade them also? what about porting the lower intake manifold? throttle body? etc.
The engine's stock bottom end is fine- I'd just leave it alone. As far as porting goes- that depends how much you want to spend. At that point you're talking a lot more money per horsepower than with a cam/heads.

were can i buy the l26 upper intake plenum and what kinds of modifications have to be done for it to work?
ebay or morad parts company? maybe clubgp's classified section?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM

what about porting the lower intake manifold? throttle body? etc.
I'd look into the HV3 insert that ZZP makes for the lower intake manifold. They seem to be very popular with the turbo guys running the L36/L26 intake setups.
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the LIM opened if/when you get heads done (but not unless you have heads done). Like bumpin said, it's probably not a high hp/$ mod, but if you're going through the trouble of having heads ported/polished then I doubt that having them match the LIM runners to it would be that much more.

As far as porting the throttlebody....
It's probably a better bet to just upgrade the throttlebody itself. You can only open the stock TB up so much, so most people just start with a bigger throttlebody in the first place. The TB's from the Nortstar engines are pretty popular.

-Riggs.

Quick Reply: whats next???