Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

W body exhaust on my 07??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Default W body exhaust on my 07??

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12498617

will this exhaust system fit on my 07 LT at all? what modifications would have to be made? i've compared parts and they look very similar. i'm looking into a decent dual exhaust setup and everything for these newer montes is flippin expensive! for example, the magnaflow system is anywhere from $700-$800 depending where you look. would like to find something a little more reasonable. even if i could just find the Y pipe somewhere and a couple mufflers, i could makea customexhaust.any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: W body exhaust on my 07??

the reason those prices are higher on your car is less competition for that market...

now, your car has a bit of a different catalytic converter and the sorts... it also doesn't havea u-bend but instead more of a slow, steady flow to the pipe. the pipes may have hook ups at different places... maybe not much different, but just different enough to throw off a cat back system just "bolting on"

and let me tell you something from experience... a cat-back is a stupid thing to buy. any reputable exhaust shop can build a better, custom design more to your liking for half the price most of the time....just buy the mufflers themselves and have an exhaust shop run stainless steel pipes back instead... (they were going ot have to put your own piping on anyway), and you get by with a lot less money spent... and besides,if you go to a muffler shop and pay for hte labor there, they'll throw in certain parts for free sometimes just as an added bonus... where as if you bring in all your own stuff, you payed top dollar for that and the labor.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 PM

thanks for the advice cowboy. i've never really considered going to an exhaust shop cuz i've always been a do it yourselfer, so i would like to buy something and bolt it on. i will definitely look into it though. now i just have to find some mufflers! later!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

I did what Cowboy said, I went to a muffler shop and they did me right...

I picked out flowmaster 40 series mufflers and got the biggest tips I could wich is 3.5 inch chrome tips.

The cut out my old mufflers and that small tip of a pipe which I hate, They welded up each mmuffler and then attached the tips, they had used the existing pipe that is already there. How much did it cost, it was $250 and done in a hour.

He also put a magnaflow muffler on before that and let me here the difference between the two to make sure I liked what I was getting.

Ask different muffler shops how much they will charge you to do this. Here is some advice stay away from midas and meineke, the major chains will charge like 400 to 500.

Go to a small muffler shop, they are very good and very reasonable.

Here are some links to listen to my exhaust

click below

http://video.cardomain.com/clip.aspx...5E6634B204F76F

http://video.cardomain.com/clip.aspx...132801D37569F3

Here are pics of my exhuast

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2724733/3

Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now what I've never told this forum is that I initially tried to put my own exhaust on as it was mean't to do so. However, the bolts at the back of the resonator were rusted so bad they would have had to be heated up and cut lose... plus, when you're tightening those bolts on the clamps, if you don't tighten enough, they will rattle all of the time, and if you over tighten them, they will "egg shape" and cause a leak eventually. You need that thing welded in! Unless you have a lift, you need to let the exhaust shop do it and just watch as they do With you're car being newer, the bolts would probably come lose... but there is one other thing...

My exhaust that should have jsut bolted on would have actually rubbed my spare tire well. The exhaust guy was able to bend the pipe around a bit to get everything to fit properly with equipment I don't have... you'll be doing yourself a major favor by going to a reputable exhaust shop. Ask around car shows and the such for a good shop.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM

thanks a lot for the comments guys. it really helped me out a lot. i have an idea of where i wanna go for a shop now. maybe this spring i'll look into it once the weather gets nice. i'm lookin at getting some flowmaster delta 40s, which should sound pretty good.

mavrick,i like the sound of yourflowmasters. it's BA.the pipe size on my ride is 2 1/4 inch right, not 2 1/2? also, did you buy your own tips or did they have them at the shop? my ride might require a little more modification since it's only single exhaust now, but we'll see.might hit you guys up again in the future if i have any more questions.