Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Upgrades on the way.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

are you just looking for HP?
if your not, i'd look into getting some eibach lowering springs. since you have the s/c SS, you already have a decent suspension, thats the only thing thats really missing. make your car handle the power much better.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 AM

I hate the SSIC IMO, if you're gonna spend the time and money for all the IC parts, you may as well do a fullsize.

A TB would be ok, but the problem is the inlet of your blower is only so big. I really reccomend doing a ported blower and TB at the same time to get the best gain. The downside is- thats also a pretty big step in money too. I've heard people claim gains with a TB, but I just don't see the point in doing a 75mm tb and having it slam into a wall at the blower.

The bad thing is, if you had a couple hundred extra to start- you would've been better off going straight to headers rather than the DP + PLOG.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM

I couldn't wait on my mechanic to get back so i installed the CAI today. What a difference in sound....and some extra power! how much HP gain do you think i got on a SC 3800 with just the Wizaired CAI?

Originally Posted by 2003supersport
are you just looking for HP?
if your not, i'd look into getting some eibach lowering springs. since you have the s/c SS, you already have a decent suspension, thats the only thing thats really missing. make your car handle the power much better.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for mainly HP for now. Once i get that how i want it, i'll for sure focus on handling next. Do you recommend anything else besides the springs?

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

The bad thing is, if you had a couple hundred extra to start- you would've been better off going straight to headers rather than the DP + PLOG.

About the headers... I haven't installed the PLOG and downpipe yet, so i'll look in to headers and see if ZZP will take a return. Can u PM or post a link to the headers your speaking of? and do those headers have the issues that ZZP speaks about on the "other header brands"

ZZP Headers.....
-trans bolts can come out w/o removing headers
-No issues with spark plug boots touching headers
-No issues with primaries sticking out past flanges and preventing seal
-No issues with warped flanges because we had them done on a water jet
-Available with or without downpipe (catless or cat'd) (uses TOG style)
-Only 1 front to rear connection uses stepped band clamp. No more alignment issues or leaking donuts, quickest install of any available headers.
-100% 304 stainless to last a lifetime, never rusts
-Easy access to O2 sensor
-Cleaner install look due to no flanges on crossover pipe, no bolts to break or rust
-no ticking noise common with some brands of headers

The ZZP headers are $700. Plus they recommend a TOG style bolt in downpipe. another $100 to $200. So i guess my question is, are the ebay $200ish headers as good as the ZZP? seems to be a BIIIG price difference. I just dont wanna get something i may have issues with. Thanks again for your time.

Last edited by nugzo; 04-07-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the ebay headers are pacesetter headers usually, and i've heard from a million people that they will crack and also, fitment seems to be an issue. i asked my local speed shop about them and they stopped selling them a long time ago because people kept complaining. i was going to get them a while ago before i did some searching and reviews on them, so i just decided to go with plog and downpipe since im N/A.......but looks like im not going to be for very long! hopefully have my supercharger kit next week! so i too will be looking for some headers i think.

as far as suspension, make sure to get the anti pogo washers and if your gonna do springs, you might as well do struts. stock struts wont hold up with lowering springs for very long, your ride quality will suck. i have the KYB Gr-2 struts and its great! if money is no problem i would definately get the KYB AGX's though. cant beat adjustable ride. also, make sure to pick up some new strut mounts. that generally is the piece that gives you crappy ride quality and a ton of noises. the rubber to metal bonding wears out and it makes a rusty spring sound haha.
i did new springs, struts, strut mounts, and anti pogo washers. found the springs on ebay for 180 shipped brand new. struts on ebay for 230, strut mounts on zzp for 130, and anti pogo washers for like 35 (got them powder coated). basically an entire new suspension for a little under 600, did the install myself.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM

The ZZP headers are $700. Plus they recommend a TOG style bolt in downpipe. another $100 to $200. So i guess my question is, are the ebay $200ish headers as good as the ZZP? seems to be a BIIIG price difference. I just dont wanna get something i may have issues with. Thanks again for your time.
I'm sure the ZZP headers are better quality- and I'm sure TOG's are even better (at least the old ones)- but that doesn't mean the quality is that much worse for the huge price difference.

The really cheap ones like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

are $189 and are the pacesetter style headers (not actual pacesetters- these are supposed to be stainless)- I have heard of fitment issues with these- and in general with the pacesetter style as far as leaks go (a lot of people just get them welded).

The style I prefer are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

which are stainless for $269, but the are the SLP style instead (also offered by SSAC). I run the DPP headers (no longer offered) which are just like the ones in that ebay ad on my monte, and I've had no trouble at all with them. The only thing I reccomend is using good quality band clamps, and copper RTV to seal the crossover (mine leaked initially from using cheapy clamps and no rtv)- but now they're fine.

I reccomend reading up on clubgp for the various types of ebay headers- there is a ton of good info on there.

the ebay headers are pacesetter headers usually, and i've heard from a million people that they will crack and also, fitment seems to be an issue.
You can't really generalize all ebay headers saying they'll crack though. There are 2 (maybe 3? I remember a post about a new set) different styles out there- so its not really fair to group them all together.

IMO the ZZP headers are too pricey. I'm sure they spent a lot of R&D time, but they came out with headers more expensive than every other brand except TOGs. I think they just picked too high of a price bracket to be in. The gains from a $700 header and a $300 are pretty much the same assuming they are the same size (which they are).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-08-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nugzo
I couldn't wait on my mechanic to get back so i installed the CAI today. What a difference in sound....and some extra power! how much HP gain do you think i got on a SC 3800 with just the Wizaired CAI?
Probably only about 3-5HP to the wheels. But your engine will run cooler, and your gas mileage also improved (unless you run it harder to hear the sound).

Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM

I'd still say invest in a tuner to remove the KR. HUGE learning curve, but it is the single best way to nail KR.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
I'd still say invest in a tuner to remove the KR. HUGE learning curve, but it is the single best way to nail KR.
Tuner will be my next purchase. That's if i dont get any speeding tickets.... Maybe i should invest in a radar detector too

Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Tuner will be my next purchase. That's if i dont get any speeding tickets.... Maybe i should invest in a radar detector too

Yes, `Lynn,
I think a radar detector would be a wise investment
4-$ure. a Front & Rear One : )
Don't 4-get 2 check the skies 4 Planes

Keep us updated on your progress, & `if you take it
to the Track ? Let us know how you do. `ok
Good Luck from `Space

Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Tuner will be my next purchase.

If you're dead set on buying one- then seriously, get on the DHP PT forums or the HPT forums and start reading and understanding all the concepts. There really is a lot to learn, and its frustrating to buy a $400 piece and not be able to actually do anything productive with it for another week or two because you're so busy reading.

Quick Reply: Upgrades on the way.