Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Upgrades on the way.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Default Upgrades on the way.

Well i just hit the checkout button on ZZP.

1x Stage 2 Performance Package $679.73 (includes PCM core charge) (Wizaired CAI, ZZP 1.0 PCM, 3.4" Modular Pulley System, Belt, ZZP 3" bolt in cat'd Downpipe, Autolite 104's and 180 TStat)
1x 1.9 ratio modified rocker $324.99 (including core charge)

I have a stock 04 Intimidator MC. I'm really looking forward to some extra HP!

Who here has a similar setup and can tell me what else i should do besides the above? Also with the above items, what kind of hickups or problems am i looking at? Anything you can tell me that you wish you knew beforehand that could make these upgrades easier or better?? I'd really appreciate your input and suggestions. Thanks in advance! Almost forgot, how much HP you think i'll get out of this upgrade?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:57 AM

Hi Lynn,
Great Mod 4 your Monte 4-Sure.
We have several members that have dealt with ZZP, and I am
sure they will post when they see your post/mod's.
Members; ExplosiveSoundz & Rock04SS
I am sure they will help `if asked.
(ZZP has a great `Rep)

We hope you take pictures of your Intimidator, and your mod's.
Look 4ward 2 your future posts.
Good Luck

Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have a supercharged engine, and I am going to jump in right now and warn you.

GET A TUNER!!! This package is possible to cause a lot of KR and if you don't know you have it, you can seriously damage yourself in the long run.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by nugzo
Well i just hit the checkout button on ZZP.

1x Stage 2 Performance Package $679.73 (includes PCM core charge) (Wizaired CAI, ZZP 1.0 PCM, 3.4" Modular Pulley System, Belt, ZZP 3" bolt in cat'd Downpipe, Autolite 104's and 180 TStat)
1x 1.9 ratio modified rocker $324.99 (including core charge)
I've always wondered how they get away with that. A 3.4" w/ a canned pcm, DP, CAI, and plugs seems like it would be a KR nightmare on most L67's. I wonder if they drop timing more than normal on those pcm's or what?

The rockers were definitely a good addition. Personally, I reccomend also going with a powerlog as well (really, you would've been cheaper and faster getting headers rather than a plog+dp-since they're down in the $2xx range on ebay). A scan tool or tuner (even borrowed) would be a definite reccomendation.

Also with the above items, what kind of hickups or problems am i looking at?
I think it is possible you will still have KR- hence my reccomendation to at least borrow a scan tool to check when you get it all put on.

You did rent a pulley puller to swap out your stock pulley with the new one right? It has to be the specific s/c pulley puller to work- a regular gear puller is not the way to go with these.

Also, I would probably at least consider getting valve cover gaskets- and both coolant elbows (they're the cheap, plastic 90* elbows- Autozone usually sells them in their help section too). But they tend to break when you're going to install the rears.

I've done a couple of rocker installs w/o buying new elbows- and its just not worth being crazy careful the whole time. Worse yet- if one breaks, and you can't find one locally- then you're going to have to wait with a broken car until you can get one.

Anything you can tell me that you wish you knew beforehand that could make these upgrades easier or better??
The coolant elbow thing is my biggest thing.

how much HP you think i'll get out of this upgrade?
If you get lucky and get no KR- I think 280-300 crank hp is a good range to expect. I'd say 300 for sure with a plog, and a custom tune- so it should be just a bit lower without, and with a canned pcm. It really depends how good your car was from the factory (they vary a good bit)- and on how knock prone it is. Any KR at WOT really kills power.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks so much for the input. PLOG ordered. VC Gaskets ordered with first order. I'm not doing the work myself, the mechanic should have a puller. Should his high end scan tool show KR? If i do have KR, what are the procedures to fix it? Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

Also as far as the tuner goes, i'm pretty sure the guy at the exhaust shop has one. He's puttin Magnaflows on it in exchange for a windows reload. He mentioned something about tuning it after i got everything installed. I'll probably pick one up for myself later. Whats a good one for my needs? I dont plan on doin much more to the car than whats listed above. Maybe a TB later if recommended.

Last edited by nugzo; 03-31-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by nugzo
the mechanic should have a puller.
Keep in mind, a pulley puller for a s/c pulley isn't really a common shop tool- IMO the best ones to use are the ones made by our various vendors. Using a normal jaw puller will not work on these pulleys. Unless your mechanic has done pulley swaps on eaton supercharged vehicle before, you may have to rent a puller from zzp.

Should his high end scan tool show KR?
Any scan tool should show kr.

If i do have KR, what are the procedures to fix it?
Add more mods. If its severe (3-4* or more), then you should really unplug the bbv solenoid, or remove the supercharger belt as a precaution to prevent chipped pistons. If its a couple degrees here or there, you should look into a custom pcm tune or more mods to get rid of it.

He mentioned something about tuning it after i got everything installed.
If he was going to tune it anyways, then why buy the zzp pcm? A custom tune is going to make the zzp stuff useless. How much is he charging for the tuning? I'd imagine it would take half a day, and usually costs $200-400 for a tune- so if you get that for just doing some work on his computer- you've got off pretty easy.

I'll probably pick one up for myself later. Whats a good one for my needs?
Only two options:

-DHP Powrtuner (was $400 new originally, no longer made or sold- used ones go for about the same money)
-HPTuners (is $500 new, still sold)

Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 AM

All the parts are here. Looks like it'll be a couple of weeks before they're installed though. My mechanic is going on vacation. How dare him....... :p

Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM

let us know how everything works out...can't wait to see the final result

Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Since i'm going to have a couple of extra unexpected weekends before everything gets installed, I have time to maybe spend another hundred or two....or three. :p what else would you guys recommend to help with KR? Would a TB be my next step? Recap on what i have sitting here in boxes is the ZZP Stage 2 kit (Wizaired CAI, ZZP 1.0 PCM, 3.4" Modular Pulley System, Belt, ZZP 3" bolt in cat'd Downpipe, Autolite 104's and 180 TStat), 1.9 Rockers and a PLOG.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

short stack ic?

Quick Reply: Upgrades on the way.