Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
1 Year Member
Default True Duals?

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. Is it possible for our cars to do true dual exhausts? I know we have the W-body so that makes things tricky. But I was wondering if anyone knew a way to make it work or if there would need to be some major fabrication to make something like that work. Thanks for any help guys

Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anything is possible with some modification. IIRC someone on ls1tech has done it

Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 PM
1 Year Member

I'll have to check that out. I appreciate it.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

To get true duals on a FWD I won't say is impossible (just about anything is possible), but the cost and fabrication issues may be a large issue.

You might be better off getting headers or a PLOG, better downpipe and change the rest of the stock exhaust out. Just food for thought.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
To get true duals on a FWD I won't say is impossible (just about anything is possible), but the cost and fabrication issues may be a large issue.

You might be better off getting headers or a PLOG, better downpipe and change the rest of the stock exhaust out. Just food for thought.
Yea, That was my original thought. I think I am going to save up a bit and just get a new down pipe and have 3" piping run all the way back to spintech mufflers with 4" tips. I think that should sound pretty good

Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

See your looking at doing 3" all the way back. What engine do you have? From what I have understood sometimes to much exhaust will hurt your engines performance in that there is now not enough back pressure. Best of luck..

Excerpt from an article below:

The most beneficial way to use a performance exhaust is on a turbocharged engine. When the exhaust gas can flows through the turbocharger with the least resistance as possible, not only will you gain power, but you will also get a wider powerband. Not bad eh.

The turbocharger will spool up faster and will give the car more power at a lower engine rpm

Remember to make sure to keep the exhaust size proportionate to the vehicle. If the system is too big, it can hurt the performance of your car, defeating the purpose of buying the exhaust in the first place.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
See your looking at doing 3" all the way back. What engine do you have? From what I have understood sometimes to much exhaust will hurt your engines performance in that there is now not enough back pressure. Best of luck..

If the system is too big, it can hurt the performance of your car, defeating the purpose of buying the exhaust in the first place.
BINGO! This is what I have been trying to explain for months now on this forum and have been told (through email) that I don't know what I'm talking about. It's refreshing to see that someone else 'gets it'.

Just a slight clarification - it isn't the back pressure that's of such concern, it's the velocity of the exhaust.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM

its been done before. ive never seen it on a ls4 car which i believe is what the op has. heres a link since this comes up all the time on every wbody forum, but no one believes its been done. ClubGP Message Forum troubleshooting

3 inch especially with mufflers should be fine. youre talking about a single exhaust for a v8 car. it may be a bit much for one thats bone stock, but im sure hell be modding it in the future. 1.8 rockers, ls1/6 intake, and a tune the 3" might be the way to go. if its going to stay stockish than 2.5 is enough.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
Yea, That was my original thought. I think I am going to save up a bit and just get a new down pipe and have 3" piping run all the way back to spintech mufflers with 4" tips. I think that should sound pretty good
I just noticed you have a 2006 Monte, forget my statement about the PLOG. But the bottom line is still the same, you may be better off going a different route.

As ZIPPY and 03SSLE mentioned, be careful about exhaust size. Not done right, you can have issues related to the mod.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I just noticed you have a 2006 Monte, forget my statement about the PLOG. But the bottom line is still the same, you may be better off going a different route.

As ZIPPY and 03SSLE mentioned, be careful about exhaust size. Not done right, you can have issues related to the mod.
Yea I think I have just decided to stick with the stock exhaust and just put a new muffler on. I have been looking at some spintechs and they sound really good. A lot better then flowmaster