Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New guy seeking some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Default New guy seeking some insight.

Been looking for this kind of forum for a while now. Bout time that I found it because I am needing a little insight.

My 01 Monte Carlo SS is pictured here. I just got my windows tinted a few days ago and I finished up today tinting the headlights and taillights. (Wondering what to do with the wheels now)

You guys know more about these cars then I do, so I am wondering if there is anything I can do to the car to give it a "stronger" or deep tone, exhaust wise. Ive only worked with exhaust systems on previous trucks ive owned, but never done anything with a V6 car.

Do you guys know any way that I can get a good sound from the car? If not or not worth it, let me know.

Thanks guys!!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally these cars in naturally aspirated form don't sound too great loud. Keep it quiet and you'll probably like it better.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are several aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems on the market. Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow.

I personally have Magnaflow on mine (LS4 V-8). I would imagine each member on this forum has there own favorite system. It would be a matter of taste. I got Flowmaster because at the time I could not find a Borla system that would fit my 06 Monte

Edit.......

ChiBiBkllacksheep (Mike) knows his stuff - I'd follow his advice\

BTW Welcome to the forum

Last edited by Tadcaster; 04-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd keep the factory mufflers on it. Get rid of the U-Bend and replace the resonator with either a glasspack or straight pipe. I used a 30" Magnaflow glasspack and like the way it sounds. It's slightly louder at idle with a nice, mellow tone to it. That tone remains while accelerating and it purrs at cruising speeds. Some like the sound of straight pipe, but many report a raspy sound and drone while cruising. I avoided both of those problems by using the glasspack. It lowered the resonant frequency of the exhaust system.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Muffler delete and I replaced my resonator with a glasspack.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum! Guess the exhaust mod depends on how you feel about your Monte. Do you envision you have a NASCAR type vehicle and want to be noticed or a more elegant toned down roomy daily driver. I like mine LOUD!!!
Glad you found this forum, happy to have you here, nice looking Monte you have for yourself. The tinting looks pretty sweet...

Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Glad you found this forum. It is a very down to home, close knit group of guys who let people like me who no longer have a Monte still hang around.

As far as exhaust. I wouldn't go for super loud but you can find some options that will give you a nice tone and a nice purr while cruising down the highway. Most of my vehicles have had 3800s and from my experience, as long as it's not just trying to be super loud, 3800s are some of the nicest sounding V6s with an aftermarket exhaust. I had a 96 Camaro that I put flowmasters on that had a very nice sound to it. Got a ton of compliments from a wide variety of car guys when I had it. Even my grandfather really liked the sound (and he's not much for loud noises). It also increased my fuel mileage. I've since learned that other mufflers (such as Borla) tend to flow much better so if I ever end up with another RWD 3800 I'll probably go one of those routes. I also know a lot of the Grand Prix community prefer Borla as well.

There are so many options out there that it's really up to you as to what exactly you want. The 3800 has a fairly large aftermarket as far as V6s go so there is certainly a lot you can do with it.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I'm kinda partial to Borla mufflers, ubend and res delete had the setup on mine and it sounded pretty good

Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

U-bend delete and a Dynomax cat back I have on my 03 has a nice deep tone to it. I'd say the borla cat back is a little quieter than the Dynomax but not overly obnoxious. The set up I had on my 05 SS was a 2.5 downpipe with a high flow cat w/ the SLP cat back system. The SLP system didn't have resonators so out of the 3 it was the loudest.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 PM

^^^I've heard the same thing from the Grand Prix community regarding Borla. One thing I know for sure is that they make high quality products, regardless of application.

Quick Reply: New guy seeking some insight.