Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Throttle Body Screen Removed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Default Throttle Body Screen Removed

So I read up on theThrottle Bodyscreen removal and decided to give it a shot. My K&N was makin a whistling noise (which was kinda cool), like a supercharger winding up or something. When I did my Exhaust my buddy mentioned that the whistle was being caused by the TB Screen, as the air passed through the tiny holes. After reading the ZZP write-up about this I decided to give it a go and was impressed with the result.

The car idles MUCH better. At idle and at full operating temp, the car always had a tiny bit of a stumble, not anything overly noticable, but still when you keep as close of an eye as I do on these things, you tend to get annoyed by them. The idle is pretty solid now, no more bouncing needle on the gauge.

Also the whistling appears to be gone, and the car seems to be getting more air in now. Fuel efficiency went up, but not by much. However this may be due to my current restriction on the downpipe. I plan to address this concern today, I'm waiting for my Downpipe to arrive in a few hours, then its off to one of my shops to put my car on the lift.

Thus far I recommend this FREE mod. Below is the link to the ZZP walkthrough.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...les1.php?id=32

Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Throttle Body Screen Removed

but what about if something gets passed that air filter you have and goes into the throttle body...couldn't that hurt the system...thats all i was thinking about...cuz i was debating it when i could easily get at it when i put the cold air intake on

Old 02-08-2007, 01:58 PM

The danger of that happening is obviously present, but I highly doubt it because the air Intake has everything well sealed. You mainly just have to watch out when your working on the car with the intake removed. However, with everything in place your in little danger during daily driving. Also if you look at aftermarket performance Throttle bodys, the screen aren't there to begin with. You should be fine, either way ZZP is claiming a gain of 15-20% more air flow, I'll take that on a free mod ;-)

-Ant

Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Taking out the screen is a great idea and obviously very simple. The only problem ive ever heard of was my friend took the screen out of his Bonneville, and somehow a leaf did manage to get through there, caused a whole mess load of problems, other than that myself and several others have done this for years with no problems.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM

LOL, damn I'd be pissed if a leaf started causing me trouble. The most important part is to get your tools to do it, remove the screen and put everything back together without walking way. God knows what can happen you if your not watching. Either, you'll be fine!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM

That's right. As I was doing mine, I saw a pine needle drop into it. I took a few clean rags and wiped down everything before I reassembled, TB opening, intake hose...everything. At the same time I installed a K&N drop in filter. I haven't looked back since. I love the sound it makes when it first starts and is warming up. I demolished the screen as I took it out, but don't want to put it back anyway.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM

those screens are more there to straighten the air flow more then anything. the one infront of the MAF i would leave, cause it will improve its accuracy. the other i would remove.