Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Stock 2005 Monte Carlo LS Muffler Size???

Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Default Stock 2005 Monte Carlo LS Muffler Size???

Im looking to get an aftermarket muffler, so is it 2.25 inch in and out.
and is it left in center out. or what? please help

Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is 2.25 in and out and offset in, center out.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Thank you so much

Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by red04montels View Post
It is 2.25 in and out and offset in, center out.
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on your Monte ? (:

Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Baby Jesus Swag View Post
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on your Monte ? (:
You bet! Mine is an LS as well. I have an intake, tune and exhaust.

I removed the 'ubend' and have a y-pipe back so some thrush turbo mufflers.. I used to have some summit racing mufflers, but I gutted those one weekend for fun... that lead to me getting annoyed driving 140 miles daily with terrible drone so I put some cheap mufflers on for now

You can use a y-pipe from an SS Monte or a Grand Prix though if you wish to go with dual exhaust, or else a decent exhaust shop should be able to make you something up

Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by red04montels View Post
You bet! Mine is an LS as well. I have an intake, tune and exhaust.

I removed the 'ubend' and have a y-pipe back so some thrush turbo mufflers.. I used to have some summit racing mufflers, but I gutted those one weekend for fun... that lead to me getting annoyed driving 140 miles daily with terrible drone so I put some cheap mufflers on for now

You can use a y-pipe from an SS Monte or a Grand Prix though if you wish to go with dual exhaust, or else a decent exhaust shop should be able to make you something up
That's what I was hoping to add to mine ! I was looking to do the u bend delete as well at some point. Would it be better to pay to have an exhaust welded on for now. Or do it myself for cheap but use exhaust clips? And what kinda intake do you have ? Cuz I was just gunna make my own. Due to their only being one that really fits. Which is the k&n. I'm not about spending $279 on something I could probably make better. Haha

Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member

ZJerry did a nice fender well intake on his supercharged Monte (I'm sure It's easy to adapt to a 3400). I have a Wizaird and honestly for what you pay for it, I think the fit-n-finish could be better (it uses bungee straps to hold the lid down and the filter sold with it always hit's the plexicover and cracked it). It's worth asking our sponsor Bill from Cold Air Inductions if he knows if their CAI fits the 3400 (I'm betting it will since his intake uses the factory ducting and the factory air box between a 3400 and 3800 is the same). Last option on the "cheap" is gut the factory air box (cut it open to expose more of the air filter).

As for exhaust, I believe the dual exhaust is more for looks (but does look good). Like Mitch said, you can pull the Y pipe from an SS. I recommend replacing the resonator with a straight piece of pipe (and I still have the factory mufflers). As far as the U-bend, how ever you wish to remove it is probably fine.

Here's a link about a lot of different cheap 3400 mods:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/

Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac View Post
ZJerry did a nice fender well intake on his supercharged Monte (I'm sure It's easy to adapt to a 3400). I have a Wizaird and honestly for what you pay for it, I think the fit-n-finish could be better (it uses bungee straps to hold the lid down and the filter sold with it always hit's the plexicover and cracked it). It's worth asking our sponsor Bill from Cold Air Inductions if he knows if their CAI fits the 3400 (I'm betting it will since his intake uses the factory ducting and the factory air box between a 3400 and 3800 is the same). Last option on the "cheap" is gut the factory air box (cut it open to expose more of the air filter).

As for exhaust, I believe the dual exhaust is more for looks (but does look good). Like Mitch said, you can pull the Y pipe from an SS. I recommend replacing the resonator with a straight piece of pipe (and I still have the factory mufflers). As far as the U-bend, how ever you wish to remove it is probably fine.

Here's a link about a lot of different cheap 3400 mods:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/
I was thinking of using hose clamps. A spectre air filter and some 3inch spectre red air duct hose. And put it in the fender. And I was thinking of going with the flow master 40 series muffler as well. It's said to be good all where I have looked. Im just worried of going through the hassle and it sounding bad but even the stock mufflers are nicer than most cars.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:12 AM

I deleted my resonator for a straight pipe and put Super 44 Flow Masters on my 2004 SS and it sounds great. I'm doing my intake and tune this weekend but it already sounds pretty nice.