Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Should I even bother??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Justin
my buddie put a cold air intake on his grand am gt and he ran into the problem were every time it would rain, where the road was really wet the damb cold air intake would suck up water and make his car die out. so he had to shorten the tube so it stayed in the engine bay, and not in the fender where it was suppose to be.
so he paid CAI price for a short ram? That's horrible. Kinda amazing that a rainy day would cause that though.....I remember watching a show where they complete submerged an AEM CAI in a fish tank full of water and even that wasn't enough to get water into the throttle body. The purpose of them doing that was to show how effective the air bypass valve was. It's purpose is to allow the engine to keep running in the event the filter gets plugged or submerged in water by sucking in air through that valve to pull air from closer by the TB and bypassing the filter altogether. He should have gotten a bypass valve instead of making his CAI and short ram.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM

ive never had any problems with the cold air intake system that went into the fender ever.its like with all pudels that are good gravy big stay away from as in go slow and steer away from it. it is the same way if you have a stock air box if there is a really big pudel and you know your going to drive threw it go slow so to avoid on splash up and suck in water. when i was driving my mustang with a cold air intake when it is raining out i avoid big pudels. like it is a kiss of death to a engine expecially on a stock vehicle as well there is more bone stock vehicles out there that suck up water more than moded cars because we know how to steer away or go threw slow threw them

Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The only time the fenderwell intakes can cause a problem are when they are way down by the bumper cover behind the splash liner. If you keep it up in the fender you wont have any problems with water. I am running a stubby cone filter that sits tight inside the fender. I have never had a problem with water and it still sucks in the cold air that comes around the headlight and in through the bottom of the bumper cover. My favorite mod by far and it cost me less than 50 bucks for the filter, tubing and the couplers.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM

yeah, I ran mine behind the headlight and I never have any problems. And my filter is right behind where the foglight is supposed to go. Although I do have a plastic heatshied that goes completely around the filter.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My opinion is that YES, you should do a CAI and Exhaust. There is a lot of enjoyment that will come from it (at least there was for me) it sounds incredible (especially your V8) with exhaust and a CAI. That alone made it totally worth it for me.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM

so he paid CAI price for a short ram? That's horrible. Kinda amazing that a rainy day would cause that though.....I remember watching a show where they complete submerged an AEM CAI in a fish tank full of water and even that wasn't enough to get water into the throttle body. The purpose of them doing that was to show how effective the air bypass valve was. It's purpose is to allow the engine to keep running in the event the filter gets plugged or submerged in water by sucking in air through that valve to pull air from closer by the TB and bypassing the filter altogether. He should have gotten a bypass valve instead of making his CAI and short ram.

IMO those bypass filters are a waste- our fenderwell area is pretty well sealed off- so you're not going to get excessive amounts of water in there. Sure that will help if it get submerged- by come on- who is really driving through puddles that come up most of the way to the headlight? Its a car, not a submarine...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM

I would think those AEM's are for truck applications with the possibility of running through deeper than normal puddles. But it would be a great "just in case" thing, thats for sure.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
My opinion is that YES, you should do a CAI and Exhaust. There is a lot of enjoyment that will come from it (at least there was for me) it sounds incredible (especially your V8) with exhaust and a CAI. That alone made it totally worth it for me.
I agree. I'm happy I did it. I'm not seeing great gains anywhere, but it made my car unique, and neither can hurt.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO those bypass filters are a waste- our fenderwell area is pretty well sealed off- so you're not going to get excessive amounts of water in there. Sure that will help if it get submerged- by come on- who is really driving through puddles that come up most of the way to the headlight? Its a car, not a submarine...
Agreed 100%, but that wasn't the point of my post

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM

I am new to the Monte Carlo forum but not new to modding. A v8 car should have a good sounding exhaust note. You have a few choices with exhaust. It would be my first mod. Get the best system you can afford. They will usually be deisgned for your application.Mandrel bent to insure smooth exhaust flow. I would just use a good quality airfilter. Chrome exhaust tips are a must have. Make sure they are welded.

Quick Reply: Should I even bother??