Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Should I even bother??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Default Should I even bother??

Im no gear head, no car show enthusiast, no racer, no tuner, never going to the track. Im just a regular guy who loves his Monte. Should I really invest money into an CAI and exhaust if that was all Im ever going to do to it? Its an SS and already packin plenty of power..Just need some opinions whether or not i should dump money into the performance factor if im just doing regular daily driving back and forth to work.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 AM

My Thoughts
It's your Time, your $ Money $, your decision, but
if I had your AweSome V8 S.S.,
I would want to make it the "BEST IT COULD `BE"
A CAI will let is breath better + sound better & increase
your power.
A tuned exhaust also lets you hear your power, and
also increases a better flow `out of the exhaust gases +
a increase of your powerful AweSome Chevy V8...
`Just my `thoughts yes, I have them & sometimes,
I do `think ~> I think

Yes, Power is addicting 4-RealSure......
They keep sending me back 2 Some`Space, but I always fall back 2 `Earth : )

Last edited by Space; 05-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Yeah, IMO, I think you should. Even if its just a DD, you're still gonna have those times where you wanna get on it and when those times come you're gonna be happy you did it. Then you could save up some money do get a PCM tune and be happy with it(done with modding). Thats just what I would do, like space said, its your decision. Ill tell you one thing, its worth it and you will for sure be happy after you do it. Aside from all that, it gives your monte somthing to stand out from the others.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Good enough for me..im gettin it. If Cold air inductions is so much better, why the hell do i keep being told to get K&N by these noobs here

Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 AM

I daily drive my GXP (basically the same car) and I've got a CAI and exhaust cutout.

IMO, the CAI probably wasn't worth the money. It was expensive (granted I bought it used)- didn't change the sound or daily fun factor much, and gave very very little hp gain.

However, the cutout (or any exhaust)- will make it more fun to drive IMO because you can hear the car more. It makes it sound more sporty and its more fun to hear the engine. You won't gain any real power (I ran back to back with my cutout open and closed with little result)- but I'd say even just swapping for new mufflers & tips would be worth it- and wouldn't run much more than maybe $300. That said, I definitely wouldn't even think about paying $500-1000 for a full catback.

Good enough for me..im gettin it. If Cold air inductions is so much better, why the hell do i keep being told to get K&N by these noobs here
Because K&N has a very good filter, and has built a name to go with that. However, I will agree that their CAI setups are typically pretty crappy. Thin sheet metal- open tops (usually with a rubber seal to try and block along the hood line), etc etc. The cold air inductions is much better sealed off from engine bay heat (as is the wizair vs the KN for the 3800's). Still, I don't know if it would be worth spending the money on a DD if it was going to be one of your only mods.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-23-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 AM

Im gonna say (ask) what ive said almost a hundred times, why dont you build you're own CAI?? I did mine for about 60 bucks. Now, im not sure how much it is for the one you're looking to get, but I know its a pretty penny more than 60 dollars, right??
DONT GET THAT K&N INTAKE, IT DOES NOTHING BUT MAKE YOUR CAR LOUDER. If you want a K&N intake you're just as good off just putting a filter on your throttle body. (dont do that, just giving an example how good it works)
But you are much better off buying some intake piping (aluminum) and making it yourself.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Exhaust, yes. CAI, meh. I'd just do a drop in filter and call it a day. The CAI's are way too expensive for these cars, IMO, and the gains are so negligible that I just couldn't justify doing it on my car so I just bought a TrueFlow air filter, slapped on my duals and called it a day.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Quick question, how much was that trueflow air filter??

Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Quick question, how much was that trueflow air filter??
Aw man, I don't remember exactly, it's been 5yrs or so. But I know myself and i'm sure it wasn't over $50....i'm cheap like that.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 PM

my buddie put a cold air intake on his grand am gt and he ran into the problem were every time it would rain, where the road was really wet the damb cold air intake would suck up water and make his car die out. so he had to shorten the tube so it stayed in the engine bay, and not in the fender where it was suppose to be.

Quick Reply: Should I even bother??